• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 02:50:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 140
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 164
Total: 164

Albinos...

Started by Babers, April 24, 2018, 01:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on April 30, 2018, 05:55:09 PM
Quote from: Babers on April 30, 2018, 04:51:27 PM
Okay...these babies came from my Halfblack het pb pair. I didn't bother with the albinos before because I wanted to focus on producing the blue halfblack angels. But now that I've got those, it's time to see if I can produce albino halfblacks....

Albino half blacks.....HHmmmmm.....interesting trying to picture that....

I remember hearing it can't be done,was a topic at TAF.
I saw a picture of Frank's so it is possible.
The back part will be reversed in color,like the stripes.
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Babers

Quote from: ghonk on April 30, 2018, 05:55:52 PM
How do you have them set up,are they feeding?

Got them set up in a hang on breeding box also. Trying to feed them on how you did yours. You're right...it's a pain moving them out of the box to clean it. Hope the survive...
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on April 30, 2018, 06:22:04 PM
Quote from: ghonk on April 30, 2018, 05:55:52 PM
How do you have them set up,are they feeding?

Got them set up in a hang on breeding box also. Trying to feed them on how you did yours. You're right...it's a pain moving them out of the box to clean it. Hope the survive...

..one of Steve's hatching jars might work better.......?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

Once you have them feeding for a few days you might be able to move them to a SMALL tank,like a 2 1/2 if you have one.
But keep everything else the same,air stone in the CORNER,and lighting.
Should be MUCH easier to maintain,i didn't have that option since I only had 10's.

Are you using san fran strain BBS? 
If not and they won't feed try it,i got mine from brine shrimp direct.

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c2/san-francisco-strain-brine-shrimp-eggs-c24.html
Paul Simon

Babers

Jon.....I left a couple albinos in with the non-albinos and they are in one of Steve's hatching jars. The potential problem I'm seeing this early is if the albinos are not fast enough to eat the bbs, it's just gonna go thru the foam  huh I can put half of them in a jar though and see what happens. I do however plan on transferring them to those jars before they start growing their ventrals.

Greg...yes, I'm using SF bbs.
Joel

ghonk

Break out the magnifying glass and look for orange tummies. ;D
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on April 30, 2018, 06:42:07 PM
Jon.....I left a couple albinos in with the non-albinos and they are in one of Steve's hatching jars. The potential problem I'm seeing this early is if the albinos are not fast enough to eat the bbs, it's just gonna go thru the foam  huh I can put half of them in a jar though and see what happens. I do however plan on transferring them to those jars before they start growing their ventrals.

Greg...yes, I'm using SF bbs.

....turn the air down when feeding..... ;)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

Mine loved to hangout in the bubbles,i think it helped keep them off the bottom,which kept bacteria from attacking their ventrals and anal fins.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on April 30, 2018, 06:52:07 PM
Mine loved to hangout in the bubbles,i think it helped keep them off the bottom,which kept bacteria from attacking their ventrals and anal fins.

....they're pretty weak sighted when that size...so food can be a hit or miss thing...riding bubbles takes that energy they need to grow......not enough food isn't a good thing.... huh
Jon

ghonk

How are your albino marbles doing Jon,did you do anything special for them?
Paul Simon

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on April 30, 2018, 06:56:33 PM
Quote from: ghonk on April 30, 2018, 06:52:07 PM

....they're pretty weak sighted when that size...so food can be a hit or miss thing...riding bubbles takes that energy they need to grow......not enough food isn't a good thing.... huh

They also seemed to feed in/near the current.
It's possible that the movement of the shrimp attracted them,or maybe it was just hitting them in the head. ;)

No doubt you can over do it with the air,you don't want it to heavy,just enough to keep the bbs moving.
Paul Simon

Babers

Here are the albinos...resolution is terrible because of low light. Their still flooded with bbs...you can pretty much differentiate the non -albinos based on their dark eyes. 3 days freeswimming at this time.
Joel

ghonk

How are they doing Joel?
Paul Simon

Babers

They're still good. I've removed the foam/filter on the drain part of the Breeding box and just kept the plastic grill. The fry are big enough that they will not go thru it anymore.
Joel

Babers

Here they are at 7 day freeswimming...

https://youtu.be/fhgVPPoGsCY
Joel