• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 09:08:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 156
Total: 156

End of Thursday...

Started by Ron Sower, April 12, 2018, 09:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...It was a windy day here starting around 3:30pm....strong and steady winds...I'm wearing a dust mask outside to help keep the allergens out...they've hit me a lot harder this year than last...off in the distance was a hazy yellowish/tan color from the ground up... supposed to quit about 8:30 or so....

...heard about another property we might be interested in buying in here...I made a call to the guy and he is to call me back...I'll make a lowball offer and if he takes it good...if not I can go up a little and make it work as a rental then a flip in a year....I look for a specific minimum ROI %-age to make our decisions on purchasing these things...If market prices increase, we'll sell...if not, we continue to rent them out for the winter season...It's all good that way... |^|

...the last couple days I've been trimming and rescaping the 125 a little...added in some of the Manzanita I collected last week and pressure washed this week...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

....does the power washer damage the smaller softer parts of the wood.... huh.....or can you dial it back  huh.....I guess technique is important.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

...actually I want to remove much of the softer, rotted parts so it doesn't come off in the aquarium and float or muck it up...

...but yes, I just pull the nozzle further from the wood if I don't want to remove so much....mostly what I'm doing is removing the grey, weathered layer...
also I can twist the nozzle to get a hard bead stream of water or a fan spray of water...1700PSI from Harbor Freight for $80...nice little electric unit...serves my needs... |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

|^|.....thanks, kinda figured something like that....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

...last summer I spent hours scrubbing, rinsing, soaking and rescrubbing a year's worth of Cholla wood to have to barter with and sell at auctions....coulda had it done in lot shorter time...! huh....live and learn...actually I rather enjoyed sitting in the sun and doing it most of the time...but I won't waste my time that way any more...I'll find other ways to waste it!... mim huh |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I have a little electric one too.  Mine is a 2030 psi unit.  For my purposes it is more power than I need.  It was cheap.  I was wanting one and found a deal on line somewhere.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

...a friend just gave me an old rocking chair today...I love it...it is straight-backed and helps me sit properly...I'm going to use a soy based paint stripper to remove the partially eroded polyurethane...I'll use the pressure washer to remove the stripper...then I'll tighten up the joints and paint or stain it...

...later this summer I'll use the washer to pressure wash my little metal shed that has terribly oxidized paint on it...then I'll paint it to match the rest of our structures...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

The DIY program I listen to on my NPR affiliate every Wed. has two highly respected contractors on it who both agree that a pressure should never be used on wood.  They say that it forces water into the pores of the wood.  Drift wood would be an exception because it's already full of water.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 13, 2018, 04:26:38 PM
The DIY program I listen to on my NPR affiliate every Wed. has two highly respected contractors on it who both agree that a pressure should never be used on wood.  They say that it forces water into the pores of the wood.  Drift wood would be an exception because it's already full of water.

...they power wash decks around here all the time before resealing.....trick is to let it dry.... ;)
Jon

LizStreithorst

It could be fine.  I'm just passing on what I heard.  It made sense to me.

Ron Sower

.....trick is to let it dry.... ;)

...and that's what I'll do |^|...that can happen fast here in AZ... 8) 8)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron