• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 05:18:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 202
Total: 203

A bad day....

Started by Babers, April 09, 2018, 06:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babers

Woke up this morning and found a whole batch of 2 week old fry all dead in their tank. Temp was good, Water changed daily (aged), feeding 3x/day...hatched bbs. Ive got other angels that are 4 weeks old and they are good. All other fish other than the 2 week old fry are all good. I use the same aged water on all water changes.

I'm trying to figure out what it could be... huh huh

The only difference is I use those pocket hose (the ones that expand) on the fry for 2 days now.

Has anyone have any experience on these hoses? Don't know if it's fish-safe. I assumed it was. Didn't even pay attention prior to using it.

Didn't check my water yet...that's next on my checklist.

Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on April 09, 2018, 06:39:57 AM
Woke up this morning and found a whole batch of 2 week old fry all dead in their tank. Temp was good, Water changed daily (aged), feeding 3x/day...hatched bbs. Ive got other angels that are 4 weeks old and they are good. All other fish other than the 2 week old fry are all good. I use the same aged water on all water changes.

I'm trying to figure out what it could be... huh huh

The only difference is I use those pocket hose (the ones that expand) on the fry for 2 days now.

Has anyone have any experience on these hoses? Don't know if it's fish-safe. I assumed it was. Didn't even pay attention prior to using it.

Didn't check my water yet...that's next on my checklist.

..that sucks, Joel..........my $$$'s are on the hose......to be that flexible it has to be made from a different grade of plastic/vinyl...... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I used a brand new expandable hose on expensive Discus I had in QT.  I was doing 100% daily WC on that tank and I never had any problems.  Still, 2 day old fry are more delicate than adult Discus so who knows.  Sorry for your disaster.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

You'd think if it was the hose it would have done something the first time you used it... unless water sat in the hose for a day after that, soaking up toxins..??

Other than that I can't think of anything.

Dan

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Babers

My water tested good.

I'm thinking it's the hose. Water sat in it long enough and thinking it accumulated toxic chemicals. And filling up a small 10 gal tank didnt help either. I think the fry are too brittle and didn't tolerate whatever it was that killed them. Maybe the bigger fish are more tolerant to it, that's why Liz's discus didn't get affected.

I did retire that hose. I did read on the insert " Do not Drink water from the hose".

Did a complete clean up on the 10 gal tanks.
Joel

Mugwump

I got my last hose at WallyWorld in the camping/Rv section.....it's heavy duty black hose...and 'potable'......in many years I haven't even came close to kinking it.....haven't seen one like there since... huh
Jon

BillT

When I ran a zebrafish facility, we did a lot of testing of rubber and plastic materials for toxicity and found about 1/3 of them were toxic to baby zebrafish.
Our test was to put some baby fish in a petri plate with the material to test in some water. Controls were the same without the test materials.
Plastisizers that make plastic flexible are usually bad. Many plastic gloves are also.

Babers

Joel

Mugwump

Jon