• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 01:21:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 127
Total: 128

I have baby chickies

Started by LizStreithorst, April 03, 2018, 03:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

But first I want to say that if anyone sucks the big one it is USPS tracking.  They suck the biggest one of all.  (Please forgive my vulgarity, but it's sooooo true.

My babies were shipped yesterday.  Day old chicks are generally shipped overnight but when I checked tracking this morning at 8:30 the box had only made it from the boonies of MO to Kansas city.  They were shipped priority and that priority takes 2 to three days to get here from MO.  Tracking said that they would arrive Thursday by 8 pm.
The temp is going to drop 40 degrees overnight so I was worried.  Little day old's need to be kept warm and they can't go long without food and water.

I had booked a very light day because I figured on the overnight thing but when tracking said Thursday which I figured meant Wed,  I had no idea how to book those days. Then the Moselle post office called shortly after noon and said that the chickies were there.  I was mid way through finishing my last dog.  All my lovely customers picked up their dogs within 15 minutes when they were done, once I told them about my babies and that the Moselle PO closes at two.

I had everything all set up for the babies.  All 19 (the hatchery sent an extra) babies are alive and eating and drinking and running around saying peep peep peep and taking the occasional 40 winks under the heat lamp.  I'd like to sleep down there tonight just to hear that lovely peeping sound.  It might be too hot but I will try.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

So glad to hear they got to you OK.  I bet they are darlings.  I see lots here for sale at 2 local places.  Sooooo cute.
Barb

Mugwump

...that's wonderful.....we kinda wish they would allow chickens here...but nada.... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Once I was grown and on my own I could no longer stand for the forces that be to impose their stupid rules on me.  It's the price you pay for living in a house on a street with a lot of other houses on the same street.

If "They" allow you to have dogs and cats there is no reason at all they should not allow you to have a few hens.  Their shit makes great compost when mixed with tree leaves that have been threaded by the mower.  They enjoy produce that you buy and then realize you won't get around to eating and they give you eggs that you can share with friends.

You might at least ask to make a plea for a few hens to the ones who decide the rules.  It's not like you want a laying house in the middle of suburbia.  All you want is a few hens in a secure enclosure. 

Mugwump

...so how's the chicks doing?......still in the fish room?....almost step one one yet?  huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

These babies have captured my heart.  I'm afraid they'll be staying in the fish room until they out grow their enclosure.  My neighbor and their 3 kids showed up to see them.  Sean is going to bush hog an area for me that is too much for me to push and I'm going to let him borrow my big heavy duty clipper plus pay the $30. for sharpening the blades he dulled when he used them on his dog last year. 

He and I talked about what I wanted done and where I wanted to let it grow while their kids and my dogs calmed down some.  Then we went to the fish room and I tossed the chicks a bunch of meal worms.  My babies put on a show playing chase and tug with worms.  The kids asked a million questions about the fish.  They were fun easy questions.  The skinny kid was all interested in the meal worms.  She listened when I talked about their stages of life.  She pointed out that two of the beetles were breeding. 

Mugwump

Jon