• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 08:15:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 152
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 163
Total: 164

Genetic Calculators.

Started by Mugwump, October 19, 2012, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Here are two of the genetic calculators available for you to use. These are valuable tools for computing results from angelfish pairings, where the genetics are either known, or estimated.
By doing a 'what if' calculation you can sometimes arrive at what you are seeing in a particular spawn, and 'backdoor' to the parents possible genetic makeup.\

Paul Susi's calculator can be found at Superior Angels
http://www.superiorangels.com/superiorangels/Genetics.html

Angelfins calculator can be found here on their site.
http://angelfins.ca/index.php?main_page=genetics_calculator

Paul's new calculator http://www.angelfishbreeder.com/
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

I love the angelfins one. I put so many mixes one day and printed results it was cool. Not sure what I entered was correct though.
Jo

Jdmcfast

Jon can you explain how to put a koi angel into the superior angel calculator? I can do it on the angel fins one but how do you enter Gm/Gm or Gm/g on the superior angels one?
Josh

Mugwump

Paul has done his with the 'locus' .....select the dark, for example, and you'll see what all resides on that particular locus..ie...dark, gold, gold marble......the rest of the listed loci are the same, reflecting what resides on them.....then check 'het' ot 'hom' to show single or double dose...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Ah .... that's very helpful Jon.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

pwsusi

Hi Jon,
You can officially remove the strike-through on my calculator  :D. Actually, that link is no longer active but the calculator is up and running at a new location.

I did a major overhaul/refresh and it's available here http://www.angelfishbreeder.com/. Feedback is always welcome and encouraged actually as I want this to be the best calculator out there that people can contribute ideas and keep it up to date. Enjoy!

Paul

ghonk

Didn't know Paul had a calculator.
Lean something new every year. ;D
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on January 10, 2019, 07:26:06 AM
Didn't know Paul had a calculator.
Lean something new every year. ;D

...LOL...and I blew off Thurs.....LOL
Jon

pwsusi

Looking for good quality pictures of various angelfish varieties for the Angelfish Genetics Calculator. I've recently added a learning center to the app to provide information about angelfish genetics and would like to add pictures to further promote learning. There is also a common phenotypes section that I plan to rework and could use pictures for this as well. At a minmum I'm looking for pictures of the known mutations in single and double dose to support their descriptions. Pictures of all other phenotype are welcome as well.

While there are plenty of images on the internet I'd rather collect pictures this way to ensure I have proper permission to use them. Please upload photos using the following link...http://angelfishbreeder.com/angelfish-image-upload . Instructions are on the website and should be very easy to do. I will ask that you name the image using some descriptive inform about what it is to eliminate any guess work on my part (i.e. phenotype and/or genotype). Thanks for your support and for helping make this fee resource as helpful to the hobby as possible. Any and all suggestions for how to make the app better are always welcome.

Mugwump

Quote from: pwsusi on May 27, 2019, 12:14:35 PM
Looking for good quality pictures of various angelfish varieties for the Angelfish Genetics Calculator. I've recently added a learning center to the app to provide information about angelfish genetics and would like to add pictures to further promote learning. There is also a common phenotypes section that I plan to rework and could use pictures for this as well. At a minmum I'm looking for pictures of the known mutations in single and double dose to support their descriptions. Pictures of all other phenotype are welcome as well.

While there are plenty of images on the internet I'd rather collect pictures this way to ensure I have proper permission to use them. Please upload photos using the following link...http://angelfishbreeder.com/angelfish-image-upload . Instructions are on the website and should be very easy to do. I will ask that you name the image using some descriptive inform about what it is to eliminate any guess work on my part (i.e. phenotype and/or genotype). Thanks for your support and for helping make this fee resource as helpful to the hobby as possible. Any and all suggestions for how to make the app better are always welcome.

..I'm sure I have some pics that you might use...... :)
Jon

pwsusi

Thanks. My first goal is to post pictures of each mutation in both double and single dose (i guess for recessive genes only double dose).  For example...when describing the dark gene i'd want pictures of D/D and D/+, Marble M/+, M/M, Gold g/g, etc...for each mutation on each locus. After that i'll probably list common phenotypes which are a combination of genes...like Koi, Pinoy, etc, and post pictures of these.

Pictures of other genetic combinations will be added too, but lower priority as i won't be documenting every single genetic combination possible ;)

Mugwump

Quote from: pwsusi on May 27, 2019, 03:45:04 PM
Thanks. My first goal is to post pictures of each mutation in both double and single dose (i guess for recessive genes only double dose).  For example...when describing the dark gene i'd want pictures of D/D and D/+, Marble M/+, M/M, Gold g/g, etc...for each mutation on each locus. After that i'll probably list common phenotypes which are a combination of genes...like Koi, Pinoy, etc, and post pictures of these.

Pictures of other genetic combinations will be added too, but lower priority as i won't be documenting every single genetic combination possible ;)

.... |^|
Jon

Babers

Don't think Paul's calculator is working right. Not giving me an accurate reading
Joel

pwsusi

Joel,
What cross do you think it's giving bad results for? Let me know so i can look into it and fix it if there's an issue.