• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 10:34:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 199
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 129
Total: 129

My Half Black Project

Started by LizStreithorst, March 29, 2018, 04:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I kind of went crazy on Baber's thread.  Forgive me Joel.  This is what I have going on.

I have 14 breeding age Half blacks.  I have 4 pairs in breeding tanks.  They spawn but I have yet to see the first free swimmer.  The eggs are fertile but they all get eaten right around the tiny tails break through.  Since I'm crazy I have decided that if a fish is too stupid to raise it's own kids I don't want it.  I'm more into the process than the results, I guess :-[ 

The one bright light in this is my Blue Silver PS X HB pair.  The male is a proven parent raiser.  They have had two tries so far and the eggs were eaten after two days.  They get to try one more time but I will remove the female.  If that doesn't work I'll throw in the towel and move on. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 29, 2018, 04:22:10 PM
I kind of went crazy on Baber's thread.  Forgive me Joel.  This is what I have going on.

I have 14 breeding age Half blacks.  I have 4 pairs in breeding tanks.  They spawn but I have yet to see the first free swimmer.  The eggs are fertile but they all get eaten right around the tiny tails break through.  Since I'm crazy I have decided that if a fish is too stupid to raise it's own kids I don't want it.  I'm more into the process than the results, I guess :-[ 

The one bright light in this is my Blue Silver PS X HB pair.  The male is a proven parent raiser.  They have had two tries so far and the eggs were eaten after two days.  They get to try one more time but I will remove the female.  If that doesn't work I'll throw in the towel and move on.

...bite the bullet and pull some spawns....don't pass up what could be......

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'll sell them cheap before I stoop to pulling a spawn.  It's a point of honor for me.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 29, 2018, 04:57:05 PM
I'll sell them cheap before I stoop to pulling a spawn.  It's a point of honor for me.

....LOL......listen to the force Liz....pull the spawns......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

No biggie.  You know as well as I that the Mama Bear would never hurt you.  It's Liz Streithorst who  should put on a muzzle now and again

Babers

Hi Liz. Hope your pairs decide to raise their own. When I was doing some trading, the only advice that stuck in my head was......it doesn't matter how low the numbers get, you only loose if you sell. Hope you don't give up.
Joel

LizStreithorst

Chef Andy is coming over Monday to watch me do a PP treatment.  I don't see signs of parasites in any of my fish but I've noticed that a 4 hr PP bath always makes the fish feel better whether there's anything wrong with them or not.  I'll cram all the half blacks in a couple of tanks and give them a treatment and see they will suddenly develop parenting skills.