• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 08:41:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 126
Total: 126

BSP x Pinoy

Started by Babers, March 28, 2018, 06:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on May 13, 2018, 09:15:25 AM
Everyone has a different perspective. Please excuse the long post, but here goes.

Raiko Slavkov  worked with several generations of a koi x black ghost crosses. He had two sibling pairs of Black Ghosts that each produced some Seal Points.  Once he had the BSPs he did several crosses to different phenotypes and posted pictures of the resulting fry. But he never did fry counts nor did he explain how the pictured ones related to the whole spawn. Didn't say if they were 3% or 90% of the spawn.

In 2014 Dave Label imported some of Raiko's fish.  I think there were about 300 but not sure of the count.  I didn't buy any because the price was too steep for me.
Some people had problems with the BSPs from Dave here. http://www.aquaboards.com/showthread.php?83964-Buyer-Beware-Bulgarian-Sealpoint-Angelfish

Apparently some were also imported to Canada in 2014 http://www.gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?p=753121

A lady in Oregon, Dena I think, obtained some Bulgarian Green fish. Worked with them for a while and lost some.  I think she then gave up, but not sure.
http://www.everythingaquatic.net/forum/forum/freshwater-fish-discussions/fish-care/cichlid-care/angelfish-pterophyllum/165025-bulgarian-green-breeding-log

Some were imported into the UK  https://www.facebook.com/337208559760711/videos/426437527504480
(Big Ben on the TAFII forum) in the UK worked with some of these fish here http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/forum/showthread.php/911-Bulgarian-Green-Variations

About 2017 there was a guy selling 'Hets' on Aquabid, but I don't remember the name.

In 2016 Joel  imported about 100 Bulgarian Seal Points.  He sold some of them, I bought 12, and I assume he saved a few.

A guy bought some of Joels  fish and had a delivery  problem but never stated whatever became of the fish. http://www.dfwfishbox.com/forums/production/vb4/showthread.php?40483-The-story-of-my-Bulgarian-Seal-Point-Angels-and-their-new-250G-home

Of the 300 imported by AngelfishUSA in 2014, and the 100 or so imported by Joel in 2016, there have been no reports of anyone producing Bulgarian Seal Point fish. That is 400 fish over 4 years with only one  report of offspring. Seems the only reports about these fish have been reports of weak fish that died off easy.  Of the 12 I bought from Joel, I lost all but three, which turned out to be all Males.

I Had a BSP spawn with a Blue Silver. I sold two of the resulting D/g-pb/pb-+bg hets to Joel.  One turned out to be Female and he paired it with one of the original BSPs.  I Paired one of my D/+-pb/pb-+/bg pinoys with one of the remaining uncle BSPs.   We both have youngsters growing out, but it is too early to tell much about them yet.  As far as I know Joel and I are the only people in the US with breeding Seal Points.

..good post Dale.......thanks... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

greydragon

does anyone have fry the BSP genes in them for sale?

waterboy

I have a batch from a BSP and Blue Silver pair that I could sell.  Parents are D/g-pb/pb-bg/bg male and +/g-pb/pb female.
They are about quarter size.  There are Platinums (g/g-pb/pb-+/bg), Blue Silvers (+/g-pb/pb), Lace Pinoys (D/+-pb/pb-+/bg), and a few Hybrid Pinoys (D/g-pb/pb-+/bg).  Send me a PM and we can work something out.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Babers

Quote from: greydragon on May 13, 2018, 09:57:50 AM
does anyone have fry the BSP genes in them for sale?

Dale's got fish ready to sell. Mine won't be ready for a couple more months, both BSP and angels with Bulgarian gene
Joel

Babers

The BSP are growing. nickel size now. Getting good colors.

Here's a Platinum BSP. Platinum body with darker fins.

Joel

Babers

Here's a BSP...green body with dark fins. You can see the difference between a double dark vs single dose
Joel

Mugwump

..looking good there, Joel...... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Babers

A couple weeks ago,  the pair had spawned that
I removed. Since I got busy,  I didn't get the chance to put their slate back in the tank. The pair layed eggs and stuck them on the head of the heater and cord. So didn't have an option except to just let them be.

Well...they didn't have much but they did good and didn't eat them. 3rd day wigglers so far and moved them to the tank wall. I'm proud of them. 2nd pair of parent-raisers so far.

Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on June 19, 2018, 01:54:56 PM
A couple weeks ago,  the pair had spawned that
I removed. Since I got busy,  I didn't get the chance to put their slate back in the tank. The pair layed eggs and stuck them on the head of the heater and cord. So didn't have an option except to just let them be.

Well...they didn't have much but they did good and didn't eat them. 3rd day wigglers so far and moved them to the tank wall. I'm proud of them. 2nd pair of parent-raisers so far.

...very nice, Joel..... |^|......top of heater?..check.....I hate that....LOL
Jon

waterboy

Great. Neat to have some that raise there own.  I never seem to get any of those.  No matter which pair it is, If I don't pull them, they eat them in about 48 hours.
Dale

Mugwump

..at about what age/size can you discern bg from non bg ???....is there a marker like the 'blue dot' on pb's...?
Jon

waterboy

On mine the greenish ones with the dark fins are discernible before they get to dime size.  The white ones with black fins have yet to show up and the first batch is quarter size or a little bigger now. I am sort of disappointed so far. I originally bought white fish with black fins and should be back there with the ones I have now, but I am not seeing it.  Maybe I will get some in later batches or they will change as they age. I couldn't see any "headlight" on any of mine, even the Blue Silvers.  Joel said he could see the headlight on some of his. I think a lot of it is still speculation at this point.
Dale

Babers

Quote from: Mugwump on June 22, 2018, 08:56:33 AM
..at about what age/size can you discern bg from non bg ???....is there a marker like the 'blue dot' on pb's...?

Pre-dimes you can definitely tell the BSPs. Peas, you can kinda tell but not 100% accurate (for me anyway). No markers that I've seen to tell if they are BSP or het at younger age (the headlight is for the pb ).  Just the lighter greenish body on most of my BSP, platinum BSP are harder to recognize at a younger age. What I can tell you is ..all the black babies are het bg. So if you cull all the black babies, you know they are not BSP's.
Joel

Mugwump

How are they look'n, Joel?....any good pics?....
Jon

Babers

Don't have recent pictures but Here's some pictures I took a month ago.

http://slickpic.us/1752818Yh5u/?play
Joel