• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 02:07:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 196
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 179
Total: 179

Finishing/modifying my Set up

Started by Babers, March 23, 2018, 09:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babers

A few years back, I initially set up a set of tanks to run with a diy sump/overflow unit then recirculate water contineusly to each tank. My plan was to change water in the sump daily, and that will serve as my water changes to each tank. After a month of trial, I wasn't happy with it, so I scrapped the build.
I'm trying to modify the system right now to make it simpler. The goal will be to open each valves to drain the water then Fill the tanks via overhead feed to each tank. I've attached a hose that will drain the water to a floor drain.
Some tanks are drilled but some are not. I'm planning on doing diy pvc overflow on tanks that are not drilled. The drilled ones are easy. Here's what I have so far...

comments/suggestions?
Joel

Babers

This is initially the drilled tank set up...
Joel

Babers

This is the modified set up with a valve to drain each tank...
Joel

Babers

The drain going to the floor..
Joel

Babers

Bottom of each tank will still be suctioned manually...
Joel

Mugwump

""diy pvc overflow""

...Jehmco carries a type of these....Josh Clark used them....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Here are no thoughts:
1) The final drain to the floor drain looks small. This will have (potentially) a lot of flow, but looks to be the smallest dia tube.
2) I would squirt water into each tank and then just let it drain via the overflows or siphon drains. The inflow could be automated easily, not the drains.
3) The siphon type drains can easily get air in them and need to be fixed. This makes them not a goo choice for having a system with automated water inflow (like #2) or other situation where you want more dependability.

Babers

Quote from: BillT on March 23, 2018, 01:03:49 PM
Here are no thoughts:
1) The final drain to the floor drain looks small. This will have (potentially) a lot of flow, but looks to be the smallest dia tube.
It is small, I agree. I used an old python. I might use a bigger/regular garden hose later on. Floor drain is 2 rooms away. I wanted something that I can put away when not in use.

Quote from: BillT on March 23, 2018, 01:03:49 PM
Here are no thoughts:
3) The siphon type drains can easily get air in them and need to be fixed. This makes them not a goo choice for having a system with automated water inflow (like #2) or other situation where you want more dependabability.

Siphon type drains are not dependable. I've learned that the hard way awhile back. I'm planning on just manually activating this siphon when it's time for a water change. I'm not planning on automating at this time. I use the same submersible pump (like Jon's) to fill individual tanks right now. I'm planning on attaching it to a PVC so I can fill the tank all at once via overhead piping.

Thank you for the comments and suggestions.
Joel

wallace

Bill is right about those DIY overflows. Its only a matter of time until an air pocket builds up at the high point, and then you have a flood. But thats when you are using them for a continuous drip system. If you use the same overflow design with a valve and pump, and do batch water changes, it should work and you won't have to restart the siphons.
Dan