• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 06:49:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 152
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 145
Total: 145

The latest Facebook debacle.....

Started by BallAquatics, March 22, 2018, 04:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Facebook has always been the bane of the tech community, but this latest breach really takes the cake.  Cambridge Analytica, the political consulting firm that advised President Trump's electoral campaign on digital advertising, effectively stole personal information from at least 50 million Americans. The data had come from Facebook, which had allowed an outside developer to take it before that developer shared it with Cambridge Analytica.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-21/under-fire-and-losing-trust-facebook-plays-the-victim

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43465968?ns_mchannel=email&ns_source=newsdaily_newsletter&ns_campaign=NEWS_NLB_Wk12_Thurs_22_March&ns_linkname=bbcnews_datasofar_newstech_datasofar&ns_fee=0

Dennis

Mugwump

It shows how easy all the social sites are vulnerable....if anyone believes that Facebook was the only one affected, they're nuts.....

...and yes, Facebook was attacked, and used.....they are a victim, as well as their users....maybe they should have had safeguards, yes....but protecting which flank ?  All our browsers are
a risk for hacking too...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

I wonder why they say Facebook is "sharing" data with an developer. Aren't they selling it?... but 'sharing' is such a nice word.

The Obama campaign used Facebook data in 2012. In that case it was with Facebook's permission, but does that make a difference to the users?
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on March 22, 2018, 11:16:09 AM
I wonder why they say Facebook is "sharing" data with an developer. Aren't they selling it?... but 'sharing' is such a nice word.

The Obama campaign used Facebook data in 2012. In that case it was with Facebook's permission, but does that make a difference to the users?

Obama folks used Facebook, and others, heavily in both his elections......never heard of 'data mining' tho.....with the likely exception of polls from their followers    huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

I don't know enough about this stuff to see a difference.

"A former Obama campaign official is claiming that Facebook knowingly allowed them to mine massive amounts of Facebook data — more than they would've allowed someone else to do — because they were supportive of the campaign.

In a Sunday tweet thread, Carol Davidsen, former director of integration and media analytics for Obama for America, said the 2012 campaign led Facebook to "suck out the whole social graph" and target potential voters. They would then use that data to do things like append their email lists."

https://ijr.com/2018/03/1077083-ex-obama-campaign-director-fb/
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on March 22, 2018, 12:22:17 PM
I don't know enough about this stuff to see a difference.

"A former Obama campaign official is claiming that Facebook knowingly allowed them to mine massive amounts of Facebook data — more than they would've allowed someone else to do — because they were supportive of the campaign.

In a Sunday tweet thread, Carol Davidsen, former director of integration and media analytics for Obama for America, said the 2012 campaign led Facebook to "suck out the whole social graph" and target potential voters. They would then use that data to do things like append their email lists."

https://ijr.com/2018/03/1077083-ex-obama-campaign-director-fb/

...LOL...if I was part of the Obama campaign staff.....I'd stay a million miles away from this hot potato..... |^|
Jon