• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 11:08:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 106
Total: 106

My other breeding project

Started by LizStreithorst, March 18, 2018, 02:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I feel very silly to be enjoying my meal worm cultures so much.  I give them to the chickens and the wild birds.  The Chickens go crazy for them.  Blue Birds like them, Cardinals like them and sparrows like them.  The Tit Mice and Chickadees ignore them.

I started with 2000 worms from Ebay.  Now I have 5 big cultures going!  I love it what I see the substrate moving because it is so full of worms.  What a strange thing to enjoy. 

Here are pictures of  my worms.  The beetles lay eggs which are tiny.  They hatch out the eggs hatch out as teeny tiny meal worms that you can't even see.  They shed their exoskeleton many times before they reach their feeding age size.  The big ones that I don't find and feed turn into larvae which continue to transform themselves into beetles.
It's not as dramatic as the change from caterpillar but it's pretty cool to see it happen almost in front of my eyes.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 18, 2018, 02:15:15 PM
I feel very silly to be enjoying my meal worm cultures so much.  I give them to the chickens and the wild birds.  The Chickens go crazy for them.  Blue Birds like them, Cardinals like them and sparrows like them.  The Tit Mice and Chickadees ignore them.

I started with 2000 worms from Ebay.  Now I have 5 big cultures going!  I love it what I see the substrate moving because it is so full of worms.  What a strange thing to enjoy. 

Here are pictures of  my worms.  The beetles lay eggs which are tiny.  They hatch out the eggs hatch out as teeny tiny meal worms that you can't even see.  They shed their exoskeleton many times before they reach their feeding age size.  The big ones that I don't find and feed turn into larvae which continue to transform themselves into beetles.
It's not as dramatic as the change from caterpillar but it's pretty cool to see it happen almost in front of my eyes.

....pics  huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I always forget to attach the pics ::)

Mugwump

..nice cultures....does your resident fish room frog like 'em too... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I think that the outer shell is too hard for a frog.  A hen came in once when I'd set the container of beetles on the floor.  The bitch ate every one.  Thankfully more larvae hatched out to replace them so the culture kept going without skipping a beat.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 18, 2018, 03:31:37 PM
I think that the outer shell is too hard for a frog.  A hen came in once when I'd set the container of beetles on the floor.  The bitch ate every one.  Thankfully more larvae hatched out to replace them so the culture kept going without skipping a beat.

..oh ok...I thought maybe he'd go for the larva...... huh
Jon

LizStreithorst

that's possible.  it hasn't happened yet.

Mugwump

.... :)  did you ever name him ?
Jon

LizStreithorst

I don't think it's the same frog every time.  I suppose it could be.  I know that it is the same breed of frog.  I recognize them by their voice,