• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 12:39:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 123
Total: 123

Is this ethical?

Started by LizStreithorst, March 16, 2018, 03:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

My friend, the Chef, was looking at my Pearlscale German Blushers Monday.  He told me how I could make a killing on their kids.  He asked all the right questions.  He asked if I invented them ::)  I said, "Certainly not.  You can write what they are in Greek!"  He asked, "Have you ever seen them  for sale?"  I had not.

He says that I have something that nobody else has so I should name them and ask for more for them than I think they're worth.  That troubles me.  I could get away with it if I were to sell them on Simply Discus.  I'm buddies with the Admins there so I would ask their permission first.  I can site a precedent.  A while back there was a guy on simply selling "War Paint Angels".   They were beautiful high coverage veil and super veil Koi.  If he can do it so can I.  What I want to know is if this is ethical?  Discus breeders do this shit all the time.
Always move forward. Never look back.

waterboy

I don't see why not.  Lots of people make up names for their Angelfish.  The people that buy Angels won't know the difference and the people that breed Angelfish won't care.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on March 16, 2018, 03:57:21 PM
I don't see why not.  Lots of people make up names for their Angelfish.  The people that buy Angels won't know the difference and the people that breed Angelfish won't care.

..HUH?.........sorry, I can't buy that......I see attempts at this all the time...there's a guy on Aqrabid that does it constantly, and it drives me nuts....those angels aren't a rare commodity even if you don't see them often......and taking advantage of folks by coining a new name is deceitful ..imho.......

A good hobbyist/breeder must have some integrity.....and self respect.

..just call them what they are and say not often seen available...... huh...then add a good price.....you'll make the same money....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

Its a form of hustling. But when you ask this question, you are asking, "What are the consequences?" ..........  at the very least it will drive Jon nuts!  ;D
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on March 16, 2018, 04:29:47 PM
Its a form of hustling. But when you ask this question, you are asking, "What are the consequences?" ..........  at the very least it will drive Jon nuts!  ;D

...be true to yourself......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on March 16, 2018, 04:18:41 PM
Quote from: waterboy on March 16, 2018, 03:57:21 PM

..HUH?.........sorry, I can't buy that......I see attempts at this all the time...there's a guy on Aqrabid that does it constantly, and it drives me nuts....those angels aren't a rare commodity even if you don't see them often......and taking advantage of folks by coining a new name is deceitful ..imho.......

A good hobbyist/breeder must have some integrity.....and self respect.

..just call them what they are and say not often seen available...... huh...then add a good price.....you'll make the same money....

I agree with Jon 100%
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I will do this on Simply.  In advance of posting these yet to be named fish I will contact Pat and site the Warpaint angels thread.  I won't pull this shit anywhere but on Simply.  They need to know that their buy sell forum has a flaw, I will do good by doing bad.  It will be fun.

wallace

Dan

BillT

In a business class I learned that by just asking a higher price, you often get things to sell better.

If you don't want to make up a name, just say they are hard (or almost impossible to get; limited availability) and maybe tout your good rep and fish raising skills.

LizStreithorst

Bill, your are a genius.  If I do it your way I won't be dishonest.  Thanks so much.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 16, 2018, 08:40:12 PM
Bill, your are a genius.  If I do it your way I won't be dishonest.  Thanks so much.

"..just call them what they are and say not often seen available...... huh...then add a good price.....you'll make the same money...."

... huh
Jon

Rjb3

A guy was doing the high price thing on AquaBid with his fish food. Twenty-five bucks a half pound. No fish food is worth fifty bucks a pound. But people were paying it. Claimed it was the best in the world, all your fish will eat it fry to adult, money back if they don't eat it and keep the food, Blah, blah, blah.

Another guy says his food is a private label blend manufactured exclusively for one of the best known breeders in the country, not sold in stores, blah, blah, blah. You can say anything you want. I think AquaBid has more than enough "Best food there is". People will buy it. Makes it tough for a guy like me, so I don't go there anymore.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on March 17, 2018, 06:31:44 AM
A guy was doing the high price thing on AquaBid with his fish food. Twenty-five bucks a half pound. No fish food is worth fifty bucks a pound. But people were paying it. Claimed it was the best in the world, all your fish will eat it fry to adult, money back if they don't eat it and keep the food, Blah, blah, blah.

Another guy says his food is a private label blend manufactured exclusively for one of the best known breeders in the country, not sold in stores, blah, blah, blah. You can say anything you want. I think AquaBid has more than enough "Best food there is". People will buy it. Makes it tough for a guy like me, so I don't go there anymore.

Jon