• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 04:25:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 140
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 126
Total: 127

Bottled water

Started by Mugwump, March 15, 2018, 10:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Drinking from a plastic water bottle likely means ingesting microplastic particles, a new study claims, prompting fresh concerns — and calls for scientific research — on the possible health implications of widespread plastics pollution.

A study carried out on more than 250 water bottles sourced from 11 brands in nine different countries revealed that Microplastic contamination was nearly universal, found in more than 90% of the samples.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

Its in tap water too...

"The contamination is particularly high in the United States, where 94% of faucet water is affected, including in samples from the U.S. Capitol and the headquarters of the Environmental Protection Agency."

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/news/a28109/almost-all-drinking-water-is-contaminated-with-plastic/
Dan

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

I guess we will have to give up drinking water and switch to beer.  Municipal water comes from deep wells so  suppose my well water is contaminated too.  Now that that has been discovered, has anyone figured out if the micro particles are bad for you? 
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

wallace

The health effects haven't been studied much, but it can't be good IMO.

"There is an expanding knowledge base on microplastics for marine and freshwater organisms and ecosystems, but our understanding of the potential human health effects from exposure to microplastics constitutes major knowledge gaps. Humans can be exposed to plastic particles via consumption of seafood and terrestrial food products, drinking water and via the air.  However, the level of human exposure, chronic toxic effect concentrations and underlying toxicological mechanisms by which microplastics elicit effects are still too poorly understood to make a full assessment of the risks to humans."

http://www.mdpi.com/journal/ijerph/special_issues/microplastics

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2017-01/documents/microplastics-in-freshwater-environment.pdf

I wonder if the microplastics, which release endocrine-disruptors, might be related to the drop in male fertility seen in recent years.
Dan

BillT

Quote from: waterboy on March 15, 2018, 03:20:30 PM
I guess we will have to give up drinking water and switch to beer.  Municipal water comes from deep wells so  suppose my well water is contaminated too.  Now that that has been discovered, has anyone figured out if the micro particles are bad for you?

Our (Eugene, Oregon) municipal water is from rivers.
I would think well water would not have these plastic particles since it is 1) filtered through the ground and 2) water underground can be quite old (hundreds of years or more).

An RO machine should remove all of these particles.

waterboy

Wallace says 94% of tap water is affected.  That sounds like Rivers, Lakes, and Wells to me. I just wonder what the other 6% is, Glacier melt maybe, or possibly direct rainwater.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.