• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 08:18:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 146
Total: 146

RIP Stephen Hawking

Started by BallAquatics, March 14, 2018, 04:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

The British physicist Stephen Hawking, world-renowned for his work on black holes and relativity, has died at the age of 76. For 54 years he lived with a rare form of motor neurone disease, which left him wheelchair-bound and unable to speak except through a voice synthesizer. When first diagnosed, he was given only a few years to live.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43396008?ns_mchannel=email&ns_source=newsdaily_newsletter&ns_campaign=NEWS_NLB_Wk11_Weds_14_March&ns_linkname=bbcnews_hawking_newsuk_hawking&ns_fee=0

Dennis

Mugwump

...he made the best of life despite the hand it dealt him......RIP.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Dan Rather
6 hrs ยท

The news hits hard. Our world has lost a shining light.

Stephen Hawking led a life that defied expectation. He was blessed with a brilliant mind and uncommon grace. And through his exuberance and belief in the shared human instincts for wonder and awe, he was able to open so many of our minds to the marvels of our universe.

He was courageous to the end and remained unbowed by adversity. May his belief in the power of knowledge and reason be an inspiration to us all. He will be deeply missed. May he rest in peace.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

waterboy

Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

BillT

What he accomplished was impressive, especially considering his condition.

Mugwump

"You know you've made an impact with your life when they make a Lego model of you, and it's instantly recognizable to almost anyone on the globe. Like just about everyone else I know, I too am feeling loss because of the reality that I'll never again hear that mechanical voice, which has also become as recognizable as any other voice on the planet."
Jon

Mugwump

Letter in the daily paper:

"Even though Stephen Hawking didn't believe in the afterlife, I like to think he's arrived just in time to join a weekly poker game with Galileo, Newton and Einstein. And I bet the stakes are astronomical!"
Jon

BallAquatics

LizStreithorst

He didn't disbelieve in an afterlife,.  He figured out how a form of energy could escape from a black hole. That's profound.  Just think of the implications.  Might a soul escape from a living being?   

Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

This was my favorite TV series of all time.

Hawking was a big fan of the Simpsons as well.  He once said that it was the best program on TV.  Hawking was a way cool dude.
Always move forward. Never look back.