• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

A do it myself with a friend project

Started by LizStreithorst, March 08, 2018, 09:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I got lucky when Andy my fish friend found me because he heard that I bred Angels.  He came to the house to pick out some small Angels to get him started.  He never imagined that a crazy old lady who lives alone with 8 dogs, 5 chickens that sometimes come in the house, and a horse that sticks her head in the door who was a fish breeder as well existed.  We hit it off right away.  He worked out the deal.  It was never said in words.  But I tell him every thing I know and give him fish and he is paying me by doing the carpentry part of the part of the project that I can do the plumbing part of.

We'll be tackling the project Monday.  I sure hope what we do works.  If it doesn't work I sure hope it's not the plumbers fault.  He has listened to what I told him and taken pics of the project from every angle so he could study them at home.  I'm not Frank the Plumber, I just do my best.  I've never done a job this difficult before.  If I'm not too stressed to take pics I'll document the project.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

...BOOMBA !!......project time....have fun  |^|

.....pics  huh...oh yeah  |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

..so got an update yet...pics??......wish I was there to watch  |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I posted on the What's up Monday thread.  I didn't take pics.  It almost would have required a dedicated photographer to tell the story.  The unknown variable that we we did our best to take into considerations was how everything will change when 220 gallons of water goes into this container.  There was a lot of talking and looking and taking up and down and modifying.  We both understand every part of the problem now and we're both sure that we can fix it.

Sorry about no pics.

wallace

The nice thing about working with PVC is if you make a mistake you can take a hack saw and chop the bad part out and put it back together.
Dan

LizStreithorst

At first I just had one bad spot.  I think the stuff I used on the male rubber like threads of the valve wasn't thick enough.  I decided that I'd give it another couple of turns so I undid the threaded on the pipe below so I could make it tighter.  Once I gave it a couple more turns I screwed the union back together the parts that should marry perfectly didn't move perfectly together.  Now I have two problems.

My heart is broken and I'm totally disgusted with myself.  I was almost perfect but almost perfect didn't work.  I'm considering calling a plumber but I'm going to sleep it.  This isn't the first time I've been over my head on a project and I've always been able to figure out exactly what I did wrong and how to fix it.  I work things out in my subconscious.  Sometimes it takes a long time but I have always emerged victorious.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 13, 2018, 09:14:37 PM
At first I just had one bad spot.  I think the stuff I used on the male rubber like threads of the valve wasn't thick enough.  I decided that I'd give it another couple of turns so I undid the threaded on the pipe below so I could make it tighter.  Once I gave it a couple more turns I screwed the union back together the parts that should marry perfectly didn't move perfectly together.  Now I have two problems.

My heart is broken and I'm totally disgusted with myself.  I was almost perfect but almost perfect didn't work.  I'm considering calling a plumber but I'm going to sleep it.  This isn't the first time I've been over my head on a project and I've always been able to figure out exactly what I did wrong and how to fix it.  I work things out in my subconscious.  Sometimes it takes a long time but I have always emerged victorious.

...did you need any 'buffer' pipe(s)  huh
Jon

LizStreithorst

I don't know what buffer pipes are but I'm feeling better about it this morning.  I rarely complete a project without running into a problem of some sort.  I shouldn't let it get me down so.  I was working on it as I slept and have a good idea of what I need to do.  I'll study it some more after I come home today.  At least I have one usable container.  I just have to keep a loaf pan under the drip for now. I can make do with the one plus a couple of 50 gallon plastic barrels.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 14, 2018, 07:42:02 AM
I don't know what buffer pipes are but I'm feeling better about it this morning.  I rarely complete a project without running into a problem of some sort.  I shouldn't let it get me down so.  I was working on it as I slept and have a good idea of what I need to do.  I'll study it some more after I come home today.  At least I have one usable container.  I just have to keep a loaf pan under the drip for now. I can make do with the one plus a couple of 50 gallon plastic barrels.

I'm sure that you'll solve the problem.....there's always a way..... |^|
...you can caulk drips too.....
Jon

LizStreithorst

I didn't have time to post before I left for work but as was rinsing the bucked of Magnum filters in the sink I saw the O ring that fits inside the union.  How it found itself to where I was working to the fish room sink is the mystery of the decade, but there it was.  I tried to unscrew the union and put the O ring back in but even though I didn't tighten it with all my muscle I could not unscrew it with all my muscle huh  Then I had to leave for work.

I was hot to get home so I only did 3 dogs.  I stopped at my neighbor's Jack and Judy and borrowed Jacks largest pipe wrench.  It opened just wide enough for me to get a grip on the thing I needed to loosen but it did the job.  When I screwed it back together it worked.

I had to cut the 2" pipe  to unscrew the fitting screwed into valve.  That's where it was leaking.  Instead of squeezing the tube of goop that I was surprised was so thin I cut in to the tube.  The stuff had separated into watery and thick parts.  I'd never used the stuff before.  It seemed very liquidy but I didn't know what it was supposed to look like.  I slopped some think stuff on, screwed the fitting back on.  Glued the fittings together and everything works and nothing leaks.

I always want my work to be clean and tidy.  It always comes out looking like some idiot did it, but it always works.  If it works it's good enough for me.

Mugwump

Jon

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I have decided that this time "good enough" is not good enough this time.  I want this job to look clean and I can make it look clean.  I just ordered a 2" sch 80 valve.  Sch 80 valves are not available anywhere locally.  I ordered it on line.  The valve will be turned every day for as long as I have fish.  Sch 40 valves always fail.  They're not made for that much use.  I'll redo the ugly part when the good valve comes in.

I adore how what I have done works.  It's a wonderful thing knowing that the tanks will fill as they should and not overflow despite the float valves.  Never having water on the floor unless I don't pay attention is such a relief.  All I want now it to be proud enough of my work to take a pic of what I did.  I can't do that now. 

Mugwump

...everything good now  huh

..can't wait for the pics and explanations... |^|
Jon