• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

question....

Started by Mugwump, March 07, 2018, 05:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

..if there was one thing that you wish that you had to make your fish keeping easier in your fish room.....what would it be ?

I wish that I'd plumbed drainage lines for the tanks.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

Tanks that are drilled and plumbed for both drain and refill would be nice, but in my case I would rather have decent water so I didn't have to use all RO. If I had plenty of good water I would be ok with siphon hose and a pump hose for refilling that I move from tank to tank.
Dan

Babers

I'd go for an automatic water change system. I've seen a continues water change set up, but not an intermittent set up.
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on March 09, 2018, 08:36:38 AM
I'd go for an automatic water change system. I've seen a continues water change set up, but not an intermittent set up.

I think that's what Liz has....?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I tried an automatic drip system a long time ago when I only had Discus.  It worked but a big WC was still necessary once a week.  It would work better with Angels because they don't require water as pristine as Discus. 

What I have now involves a vacuuming of the bottoms by hand.  It's goes fast because my siphon hose is connected to a powerful pump which shoots the water through a hold in the wall and down into the woods.  Re-filling is fast, too.  I use the same type pump to move the water from my water storage containers to the tanks.  Everything is hard plumbed and all I have to do it turn a bunch of valves, turn on the pump, and try to watch carefully so as not to have a flood.  I often flood because multiple tanks are are filling at the same time.

What I wish is that I had put a drain in the floor when I built the fish room. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 09, 2018, 01:34:08 PM
I tried an automatic drip system a long time ago when I only had Discus.  It worked but a big WC was still necessary once a week. It would work better with Angels because they don't require water as pristine as Discus. 

What I have now involves a vacuuming of the bottoms by hand.  It's goes fast because my siphon hose is connected to a powerful pump which shoots the water through a hold in the wall and down into the woods.  Re-filling is fast, too.  I use the same type pump to move the water from my water storage containers to the tanks.  Everything is hard plumbed and all I have to do it turn a bunch of valves, turn on the pump, and try to watch carefully so as not to have a flood.  I often flood because multiple tanks are are filling at the same time.

What I wish is that I had put a drain in the floor when I built the fish room.

...says who..?
Jon

Ron Sower

...I guess I just did that with the RO tank set up, siphon hose to the toilet and submersible pump to refill the tank....I did my first water change in a month which is way to long to go...but it was so easy...having the one tank makes it easy enough now....

...I too wish I didn't need to use RO water....The Seattle water was great!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wallace

I had an automatic drip once. It was nice until the overflow quit one day and flooded the house. I would do it again if I had a concrete fishroom floor with a floor drain.
Dan

Babers

I also did the continues RO drip on a 125 gal. It didn't work so well for me. My water heater wasn't able to heat the water hot enough for the rest of the House...plus the cost factor. So I disconnected it.
Joel

BillT

My auto-change system is forking fine and has for probably 10 years.