• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 06:02:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 202
Total: 202

aluminum tank

Started by b125killer, June 16, 2013, 10:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I have a extruded aluminum and plexiglass cube box. I was thinking that it would make a neat tank. I'm just not to sure how well it will do it being aluminum and plexiglass. I will need to seal it. It was never meant to be a fish tank. I was thinking of just using the silicone to seal it and just run it along the aluminum to seal that from the rest of the tank. Or would it be okay to have exposed aluminum in the tank. I know the aluminum will oxidize. Just not to sure if it would be safe. especially in such a small space. the box is only 10.75x10.75x10.5 That works out to be around 5 gallons. Or do you think it would be more trouble than it's worth?

Scott

Mugwump

I wouldn't chance it, myself...not all aluminum is made the same, plus continued contact with water will eventually break it down some. Boats, and such, are painted/coated...that even involves an acid bath to etch the surface for the paint to adhere properly .....even if your vessel is coated...I'd ask...with what?.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Yea I know it will breakdown some. plus with it not being a tank I don't think it would be worth making it into one. I think it would cost more to turn it into one than going out and getting a 5 gallon tank. Also I'm not to sure the plexiglass wouldn't warp also. it's not that thick. 
Scott

Barb

But it would make a good terrarium!
Barb

PaulineMi

That's a great idea Barb.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

b125killer

A terrarium could be neat. I've never had a terrarium. I'm not to sure how I would make one. I would think it's more than just adding dirt and plants. Is there anything special I would need?
Scott

Mugwump

Dirt/ plants/ with or without a small lizard???....etc
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Like Mug said not all aluminum is the same. I know there is marine aluminum, but I don't know anything more about it.
I do know that when i was a kid I managed to fairly rapidly corrode an aluminum tray of my Mom's quite badly with a high salt solution.

You might possibly seal it with epoxy paint and silicon.
If you want to quickly see if the plexiglas would bow, thrown in a trash bag and fill it with water.