• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 10:42:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 176
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 145
Total: 146

Stopped out to see Mom & Pop

Started by BallAquatics, June 13, 2013, 06:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

I stopped out to see Mom & Pop yesterday.  I asked Mom if she wanted to go up to the cemetery to visit grandma.  I haven't been up there since the day of the funeral almost 40 years ago.

At any rate, we saw all the folks and Mom showed me her great uncle George's grave.  He died just 2 years before I was born and was just 17 when he fought  in the Civil War.  How different those people were back then.  They loved their country and were just as proud of the states they lived in.   One has to wonder what they would think of the shape were are in now???

When ever I think of the Civil War, it makes me think of one of the prettiest and saddest songs I've ever heard.

What an eloquent gentleman he must have been.....

Dennis

Rjb3

Outstanding post. I, too, think of that letter and read it often. They loved their country.

PaulineMi

After listening to the reading of the letter I started thinking about the Civil war and all the death, dismemberment and suffering. Sadly we haven't learned much from history.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

JR

This is a great post. I to have read this letter often. They were proud and brave Americans.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

BillT

Ashokan Farewell is one of my favorite songs.

Almost got to see these guys perform a few months ago, but it did not workout.

I have a big interest in the civil war. In many ways the civil war lead to our "modern" nation.

The 150th anniversary of Gettysburg is at the beginning of July.