• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

Scheduled maintenance...

Started by BallAquatics, January 26, 2018, 07:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

DigitalOcean is working to mitigate the industry-wide security vulnerabilities known as Meltdown and Spectre.

This email is to notify you that, as part of our mitigation efforts, we have planned an upcoming maintenance that will affect all Droplets in all regions. During the course of this maintenance, we will reboot physical machines and the Droplets on them. These reboots are necessary in order to apply the patches that mitigate the Spectre vulnerability within DigitalOcean's infrastructure.

We are aiming to begin this maintenance in our NYC1 region during the week of January 29, with maintenance to follow in our other global regions. Notices, including a list of affected Droplets, will be sent to all affected customers at least 24 hours ahead of scheduled maintenance windows.

We recognize the disruptive nature of this maintenance and will make every effort to provide as much advance notice as possible. We are exploring ways to reduce the impact of this kind of maintenance in the future.

I've already updated our VPS to linux kernel 4.4.0-109-generic which has the latest updates.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Dennis dear.  Would you please translate what they said into English for me?  I get the part where you did the best thing you could do. 

I've heard about those bad bugs.  They attack the OS at it's heart if I understand it correctly. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 26, 2018, 07:44:20 PM
DigitalOcean is working to mitigate the industry-wide security vulnerabilities known as Meltdown and Spectre.

This email is to notify you that, as part of our mitigation efforts, we have planned an upcoming maintenance that will affect all Droplets in all regions. During the course of this maintenance, we will reboot physical machines and the Droplets on them. These reboots are necessary in order to apply the patches that mitigate the Spectre vulnerability within DigitalOcean's infrastructure.

We are aiming to begin this maintenance in our NYC1 region during the week of January 29, with maintenance to follow in our other global regions. Notices, including a list of affected Droplets, will be sent to all affected customers at least 24 hours ahead of scheduled maintenance windows.

We recognize the disruptive nature of this maintenance and will make every effort to provide as much advance notice as possible. We are exploring ways to reduce the impact of this kind of maintenance in the future.

I've already updated our VPS to linux kernel 4.4.0-109-generic which has the latest updates.

Dennis

..thanks for the heads up.....if you've already updated the Linux kernel, I imagine there won't be too much of a disruption then.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 26, 2018, 07:44:20 PM

Dennis
..clear as muddy water until I got to this point...! Thanks for taking care of it Dennis..!  |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 26, 2018, 08:21:34 PM
Dennis dear.  Would you please translate what they said into English for me?

Hey Liz, it's just a bunch of tech talk for, "they are going to be updating their software and the systems will need to be shut-down and restarted."  There will be some interruption, but it should only be momentary.

I generally do maintenance sometime after 10PM and it goes unnoticed as everyones typically signed off for the evening.

Dennis