• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 05:22:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 267
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 244
Total: 244

Sunday afternoon dinner....

Started by Mugwump, January 21, 2018, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...pork steaks, spinach, and bakers with sour cream......fruit ?.....salad?..... |^| |eat| |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The short ribs.  I let the flavor marry for a day before I stated them.  I made some homemade creme fraiche Friday.  It has been in the fridge since yesterday.  It got better with a day's aging as well.  Since the short ribs came out kind of on the sweet side (the only reason I can think of for that is that the carrots were unusually sweet  I sampled them as I was dicing)  The creme fraiche was just slightly sour, much less than sour cream, and is 44% butterfat.  I substituted it for butter on the mashers.  The meal was perfection and way filling.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 21, 2018, 02:58:24 PM
The short ribs.  I let the flavor marry for a day before I stated them.  I made some homemade creme fraiche Friday.  It has been in the fridge since yesterday.  It got better with a day's aging as well.  Since the short ribs came out kind of on the sweet side (the only reason I can think of for that is that the carrots were unusually sweet  I sampled them as I was dicing)  The creme fraiche was just slightly sour, much less than sour cream, and is 44% butterfat.  I substituted it for butter on the mashers.  The meal was perfection and way filling.

....sounds delicious.....my Mom used to cook short ribs on top of kraut.....MMMmmm..good
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I can almost taste that in my mind's taste buds.  I think I'll google around for recipes.

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

The only recipes for short ribs with sauerkraut were for boneless short ribs.  I donno about that...what draws me to short ribs is the gelatinous nature of the connective tissue.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 21, 2018, 06:06:13 PM
The only recipes for short ribs with sauerkraut were for boneless short ribs.  I donno about that...what draws me to short ribs is the gelatinous nature of the connective tissue.

...sheesh.....use bone in.........spread kraut on bottom of a roasting pan.....season bone in ribs with salt/pepper...arrange on top of kraut.....cover and bake on 350 until meat separates uncover.. and cook til as brown as you like it................eat....good with mashers and apple sauce  |^|
Jon