• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 12:25:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 125
Total: 125

What is it called

Started by LizStreithorst, December 28, 2017, 07:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I need to know in both Greek and English.  Ones that look exactly like that one but blush have a different name, right?  It has something to do with SS and S+. but I could be wrong.

Do these have any value?  I have a pair that is going to raise a ton of kids and several other pairs with eggs.
Always move forward. Never look back.

waterboy

Looks like a Paraiba to me (S/S - pb/pb). Two blue genes and two Stripeless genes.  I think the patches of quinine (probably not spelled right) are the result of the 2 stripeless genes (Blusher).  Two Stripeless genes (S/S) is a blusher and 1 stripeless gene  is a Chost (S/+) or a Clown (S/Z). 
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on December 28, 2017, 11:34:33 PM
Looks like a Paraiba to me (S/S - pb/pb). Two blue genes and two Stripeless genes.  I think the patches of quinine (probably not spelled right) are the result of the 2 stripeless genes (Blusher).  Two Stripeless genes (S/S) is a blusher and 1 stripeless gene  is a Ghost (S/+) or a Clown (S/Z).

...+1  |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on December 29, 2017, 04:37:56 AM
Quote from: waterboy on December 28, 2017, 11:34:33 PM
Looks like a Paraiba to me (S/S - pb/pb). Two blue genes and two Stripeless genes.  I think the patches of quinine (probably not spelled right) are the result of the 2 stripeless genes (Blusher).  Two Stripeless genes (S/S) is a blusher and 1 stripeless gene  is a Ghost (S/+) or a Clown (S/Z).

...+1  |^|

+1
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Tell me if I am crazy.  I believe (but could be wrong) that both parents were ghost pearl scales.  I see pearlscale in some of the shiny parts but not other's.  Please look at the picture again and tell me that you don't see pearl scales on some  but not all of the shiny parts.

waterboy

Separate phenomena I think.  I don't see any pearl scales.  The shiny patches you see are the result of 2 stripeless genes.

But if both parents were pearlscale then these have to be pearlscales so you might be right.  Something new you have discovered about pearlscales.
Dale

LizStreithorst

waterboy

Dale

Mugwump

..typ, and remember pearlscale is recessive....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Yes.  Some could have two doses of it and others just one.  Do you and Dale see what I'm talking about in the picture?  I see it.  Some of those shiny scales are quite plump.

waterboy

That's right.  That is why with both parents being pearlscale, the youngsters have to be pearlscale.  Two recessives on the fathers side means all fry have one, and two recessives on the mothers side means all fry have one from father and one from mother.  Whether or not, or how, they express the double dose pearlscale genes is probably another question.  Looks as if a blushing pearlscale might only express the pearlscale in the guanine spots. 
Dale

waterboy

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 30, 2017, 03:05:23 PM
Yes.  Some could have two doses of it and others just one.  Do you and Dale see what I'm talking about in the picture?  I see it.  Some of those shiny scales are quite plump.

Pretty hard to tell, but some of the ones by the anal fin and on the side look like they could be.
Dale

Mugwump

...and pearlscale doesn't pop with all fish the same way and same time too.....I've seen pearl come pretty late in the fry development on many a spawn....
Jon

waterboy

Quote from: Mugwump on December 30, 2017, 03:12:10 PM
...and pearlscale doesn't pop with all fish the same way and same time too.....I've seen pearl come pretty late in the fry development on many a spawn....

Have any ideas as to why?  What might be the modifying factor?
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on December 30, 2017, 03:17:55 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 30, 2017, 03:12:10 PM

Have any ideas as to why?  What might be the modifying factor?

...I don't think there's a modifier....it's nature that they all don't pop at once....and in the same way.....I've even seen late pearling Plats, which express pearl fairly easily ..he stripeless might slow some down, or make it difficult to see because of the random iridescent patterns over lapping there as well... huh
Jon