• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:12:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 151
Total: 151

Paul's new genetic calculator

Started by Mugwump, December 27, 2017, 03:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

I bookmarked it. There is no Bulgarian Green.  Does it have to be an official gene to show up in the calculators?

Or do we need to know about interactions?
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on December 27, 2017, 03:43:16 PM
I bookmarked it. There is no Bulgarian Green.  Does it have to be an official gene to show up in the calculators?

Or do we need to know about interactions?

The BG has never been proven...no test crosses either..and Raiko crossed everything and the moon into them so now doing any verifying crosses are mute....Dena has tried for over two years to back out the suspected gene....no cigar......so to answer your question.....yup...no verification , no recognition   ....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I just tried to use it.  Told me that if I breed my sunsets to my gold pearl scales I will get half of each in the first generation.  That feels right to me.  Is it correct or did I do it wrong.  I'm used to doing this kind of thing wrong but it would be so helpful to me if I could do it right.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 27, 2017, 06:10:43 PM
I just tried to use it.  Told me that if I breed my sunsets to my gold pearl scales I will get half of each in the first generation.  That feels right to me.  Is it correct or did I do it wrong.  I'm used to doing this kind of thing wrong but it would be so helpful to me if I could do it right.

are your gold pearls ...ghosts?
Jon

Mugwump

The way that you stated, you would get you all golds het for pearl and stripess...
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on December 27, 2017, 06:13:57 PM

You have the patience of a saint.  I have gold pearls.  I want to make more of them but mine are already inbred.  The spawns are not huge and there are more culls that I like to see.  I was hoping that I could use the sunsets but I need to tell them bye bye and hunt for some unrelated golds. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 27, 2017, 06:32:00 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 27, 2017, 06:13:57 PM

You have the patience of a saint.  I have gold pearls.  I want to make more of them but mine are already inbred.  The spawns are not huge and there are more culls that I like to see.  I was hoping that I could use the sunsets but I need to tell them bye bye and hunt for some unrelated golds.

..... ;) |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

I found them.  Good looking fish and just the right age.  Cheap, too!.  Check out the shipping method and cost.  I know that FedEx is the best but they screw up, too.  They all do.  If a fish dies en-route I'm screwed.  Oh well, I like the fish and I need the fish and nothing is with it's cost and risk and I've talked myself into buying them.

Just what I need...more fish >:( >:(

LizStreithorst

Forgot the link http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwangelfish&1514824380 

I changed my mind back.  He says that they are half dollar body size and they're 6 months old?  That seems way small for their age to me.  Anyway as messaged him and asked for pics and prices of other golds he has for sale.

I'm I'm going to pay $85. shipping I'm going to make damn sure that I get what I want.  There are other Golds to be found in the sea.

pwsusi

Thanks for posting this Jon. I just noticed this thread AFTER posting an update to the Genetics Calculator thread at the top of this section, so sorry for the duplicate post.

As for the question about Bulgarian Green. I didn't add it because I'm not sure how it interacts with other genes. If people can share results from test crosses and we have something that we think is proven I'd be happy to add it. Honestly I'm not up to speed on this mutation to know where things stand. Anyway, I want to make the calculator as accurate as possible and current, so please send over any suggestions you have. Also, I'd like to get better pictures for the "common phenotypes" function where you can select the parents from a phenotype name/picture as opposed to other calculators that assume and require that you know the genetics of the parents to use the app. I'd like to start with the common phenotype pictures, but if we can get others for the countless other genetic possibilities i can add those pictures throughout the app (ex. offspring from genetic crosses, genetic makeup of parents when you manually select the genes, etc).

Paul

Mugwump

Quote from: pwsusi on January 13, 2018, 09:01:23 AM
Thanks for posting this Jon. I just noticed this thread AFTER posting an update to the Genetics Calculator thread at the top of this section, so sorry for the duplicate post.

As for the question about Bulgarian Green. I didn't add it because I'm not sure how it interacts with other genes. If people can share results from test crosses and we have something that we think is proven I'd be happy to add it. Honestly I'm not up to speed on this mutation to know where things stand. Anyway, I want to make the calculator as accurate as possible and current, so please send over any suggestions you have. Also, I'd like to get better pictures for the "common phenotypes" function where you can select the parents from a phenotype name/picture as opposed to other calculators that assume and require that you know the genetics of the parents to use the app. I'd like to start with the common phenotype pictures, but if we can get others for the countless other genetic possibilities i can add those pictures throughout the app (ex. offspring from genetic crosses, genetic makeup of parents when you manually select the genes, etc).

Paul

..all's good....better in two places than not at all.... |^|....nice work, Paul... |^|
Jon