• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 01:10:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 176
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 156
Total: 156

New Faithful

Started by LizStreithorst, December 08, 2017, 01:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

New Faithful is my computer.  She is sick.  She won't install the new simple printer that I bought.  I followed the suggestions it gave me and still no luck.  Windows defender was turned off and I didn't do it.   Somehow I managed to get it turned back on.  The Malware bytes that I bought was uninstalled.  I ran their free virus scan and it found 124 pieces of malware.  It sent me a message to turn the protection I paid for on and I click "turn on" and it won't turn on.  I would have continued to go on in ignorance if the new printer had installed.  All I do is post on forums and do email and those things worked just fine.

I wish I knew how to fix computers.  This miserable snowy day would be a perfect time. I've tried doing everything my computericaly feeble brain knows to do.  I have Team Viewer if anyone is board stiff and wants to make some money.  Otherwise I'll take New Faithful to the computer doctor.  There's a good one in the strip mall where my LFS is.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...Win 10 won't run many 'simple' printers.....even my ink jet is ka-ka with it....check the printer box for requirements to run it.....bet win 10 isn't listed.... huh....you can try to have win 10 find any newer drivers for it......you might get lucky  huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

What you said is over my head.  I will leave it to the computer doctor to sort out.  I've reached the end of my patience.

LizStreithorst

I'm smarter than I thought.  I downloaded a driver and now it works.

I'll see if I can fix my Malwarebytes tomorrow.  I don't want to push my luck by trying to fix two things in the same day.  I've read around some and I found out that others are having the same problem and it can be fixed.

Ain't I just little miss computer wizz?

Mugwump

..good show...............nice job  |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

...dayam, girl....you're getting on with that computer stuff!!!... |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I went ahead and fixed Malwarebytes last night.  I'm on a roll ;)

It is great having a printer that I can actually use.  When I bought New Faithful I bought a printer that Best Buy Recommended at the same time.  It did all sorts of stuff but all it did for me was have paper jams.  This new one is an HP DeskJet 1110.  All it does is print what's on the screen and that's all I want it to do.  Now, when I want to follow a recipe I don't have to write it down long hand or run back and forth from the office to the kitchen to check measurements.  I just print it out and take it to the kitchen with me.  How cool is that?  Ah the magic of technology when my little mind figures out how to make it work.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 10, 2017, 10:12:28 AM

It is great having a printer that I can actually use.  When I bought New Faithful I bought a printer that Best Buy Recommended at the same time.  It did all sorts of stuff but all it did for me was have paper jams.  This new one is an HP DeskJet 1110.  All it does is print what's on the screen and that's all I want it to do.  Now, when I want to follow a recipe I don't have to write it down long hand or run back and forth from the office to the kitchen to check measurements.  I just print it out and take it to the kitchen with me.  How cool is that?  Ah the magic of technology when my little mind figures out how to make it work.

..well that's good..... |^|...a lot of times the paper sticks together when you take it out of the ream......I shuffle both ends and it stops the printer 'feeder' from not feeding well.....with your humidity, you'll likely get the jams when you haven't used your printer for a spell......just remove and shuffle a couple times and it should go back to working well......
Jon

waterboy

Now, when I want to follow a recipe I don't have to write it down long hand or run back and forth from the office to the kitchen to check measurements.  I just print it out and take it to the kitchen with me.  How cool is that?  Ah the magic of technology when my little mind figures out how to make it work.

\I have been doing that for years.  We have a metal  range hood over the stove, one of those with a fan and a light.  I have a refrigerator magnet on there and hang the recipe right in front of my nose while I am working.  Seems to work out pretty good.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

Lots of folks have been doing stuff for years that I'm just figuring out.  I figure stuff out when I get disgusted with not being able to do things that I want to do.  I hope I don't have to decide that I can't live with knowing and being able to do everything on my phone.  The damn phone is enough of a PITA now without demanding more attention than I am willing to give it.  I don't like facebook either.

waterboy

My phone always hung on the wall in the kitchen. A couple years ago there was a big recall campaign for our Governor. The political calls got so bad that we finally got disgusted and got "caller ID".  Now the phone has a little screen on it and when it rings, if we don't recognize the number we don't answer.  It doesn't do anything else to worry about figuring out. 

I don't like Facebook either. Went on the facebook page for the Rockford fish swap a few times. Got a friend request, approved it, and started getting a bunch of inappropriate messages, so I cancelled that real quick. I go on it once in a great while to check the local aquarium clubs page but that is it.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

BallAquatics

Great job Liz!

This new one is an HP DeskJet 1110.

Another great job picking out the printer.  HP rules when it comes to drivers and support.  I use and older version of the very same printer the Deskjet 1000.  Nothing fancy, but it does a great job & the ink is cheap too.

Dennis

BallAquatics

Quote from: waterboy on December 10, 2017, 02:10:57 PM
My phone always hung on the wall in the kitchen.....

I just broke down and purchased my first smart phone.  They had the Samsung Galaxy Stardust on sale for $9.99 with FREE over-night shipping.

Got a new number too.....  867-5309

https://youtu.be/6WTdTwcmxyo

Dennis