• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 09:40:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 168
Total: 169

My Blue Silver (?) Pair.

Started by LizStreithorst, December 02, 2017, 06:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

These are the fish that I wanted to breed to my half black some half black fry.  The female was easy to get a good pic of but the male because the pair has wigglers that will go free swimming tomorrow and he faced me so he could intimidate me.  Still, you can see that the female is good.  I can't even figure out if the male is a silver or a ghost?  He has stripes but they're not complete.  What bothers me most is that he has a bent pelvic fin.  Is it necessarily a genetic defect or might he have broken it somehow?  Is a fish with this defect considered to be of breeding quality?

The pics does not show how blue they are.  It might because there is still some tea in the water.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

..he got that bent ventral as a fry....that's an injury......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Thank God.  He's a good fish otherwise and he and his lady are going to raise a ton of monetarily worthless fry.  Can you tell from the angel if he is a silver or a blue.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 02, 2017, 07:19:27 PM
Thank God.  He's a good fish otherwise and he and his lady are going to raise a ton of monetarily worthless fry.  Can you tell from the angel if he is a silver or a blue.

...he has a greenish sheen on the shoulder....but hard to tell.......faint stripes, is he a ghost ?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I need to start proof reading.  The fish is very blue.  It shows up a little better in this pic.  What I'm wondering if he's a blue silver or blue ghost.  I'm thinking ghost.

waterboy

I am thinking Blue Silver as he has that one solid stripe.  I have never had a ghost with a solid stripe like that.  Then again I am certainly not an expert.  Best way to tell for sure is to mate him to a known ghost and look at his offspring if you get some.  Ghost (Stripeless gene) and Ghost (Stripeless gene) will get you some Blushers.  If no Blusher, then he is a Blue Silver.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.