• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 07:27:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 144
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 143
Total: 143

Anyone breeding catfish...

Started by Mugwump, November 30, 2017, 10:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

..just curious....Ron Sower isn't breeding anymore.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

What kind of catfish?  "Catfish"  is a big category. I have several types of Corydoras.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on November 30, 2017, 01:24:29 PM
What kind of catfish?  "Catfish"  is a big category. I have several types of Corydoras.

..those be the ones..... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

Here is what I have at the moment.  Looking for some spotted ones....Julli...Agazisi...etc.

C. Aeneus Albino
C. Paleatus
C. Ehrhardti
C. Metae
C. Panda
C sp. CW021
Dale

Mugwump

I currently have...

Albino
green/bronze..a few high fin...
C. habrosus
C. pygmaeus
Panda
Sterbai
..looking for C. hastatus.....
Jon

wiggs

Dale, Are you going to be at the GCCA swap on Sunday ? I might want some Julii .  Also some green ones,Like Jon said all of ours are getting old and we could use some more.
Jan

waterboy

Sorry, I don't go to the GCCA Swaps.  I don't have any green ones or Julii. Do have Ehrhardti and Paleatus.

Ehrhardti    https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=475

Paleatus   https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=271
Dale

wiggs

Ok, Sorry, I read it wrong. lol  Not enough coffee. We do still need the green ones. Jon will talk to you about them.    Thanks..
Jan

wsantia1

Last night when I went to feed the fish I noticed a bunch of cory eggs stuck on the glass of my 150. That is the Altum tank so there is no chance of survivors if any eggs hatch. I did attempt to scrape some of the eggs off of the glass but couldn't get to the ones on the bottom.  huh

I dropped the scraped off eggs into a jar of tank water with an airstone because I didn't know what else to do and it was late and I was tired. huh There are still some eggs in the 150 on the glass. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

waterboy

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 03, 2017, 08:33:33 AM

I dropped the scraped off eggs into a jar of tank water with an airstone because I didn't know what else to do and it was late and I was tired. huh There are still some eggs in the 150 on the glass. huh

Thats's the way to do it.  I use specimen containers or Marina breeding boxes that can hang in the tank to maintain the temperature.  A drop or two of meth blue and you are on your way to baby catfish.  Look for movement after 3 -4 days, the little ones are tiny.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on December 03, 2017, 08:50:56 AM

Thats's the way to do it.  I use specimen containers or Marina breeding boxes that can hang in the tank to maintain the temperature.  A drop or two of meth blue and you are on your way to baby catfish.  Look for movement after 3 -4 days, the little ones are tiny.

...very tiny....and faster than hell.....LOL...they'll actually eat the mulm to start too....be ready with food, they don't really have an egg sac....
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on December 03, 2017, 04:25:39 PM
Quote from: waterboy on December 03, 2017, 08:50:56 AM

...very tiny....and faster than hell.....LOL...they'll actually eat the mulm to start too....be ready with food, they don't really have an egg sac....

Thanks guys. There are some still in the tank and the eggs are not white but clearish. I also noticed a few under the driftwood. The tank is BB so they adhered to the bottom glass. I have a few different types in that tank so I'm curious as to which species these belong to. lol
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

waterboy

When they start scooting around the bottom of the container I usually put in a small portion of Java Moss.  They seem to do better that way.  I think there are tiny creatures on the moss that they eat.  Also put in some microworms for them to eat.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on December 03, 2017, 11:28:17 PM
When they start scooting around the bottom of the container I usually put in a small portion of Java Moss.  They seem to do better that way.  I think there are tiny creatures on the moss that they eat.  Also put in some microworms for them to eat.

..yep, they love microworms....and a touch of 'guppy magic' or egg foo young' too.... |^|
Jon