• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

The 125...

Started by Ron Sower, November 20, 2017, 12:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...I've been letting others encourage and influencing me to use wood in the new setup's aquascaping...King even gave me some nice pieces to use...and yesterday afternoon I tied on some rocks to the bottom of the stump wood and situated it in with some river rock...

...I've had this 'scape idea floating around in my brain for quite awhile now and it doesn't include any major wood hardscape material...so as I look at the tank this morning, I decided to take the advice I often give to others..."It's YOUR hobby, YOUR tanks, YOUR fish and plants, so make it what YOU want it to be!"...

..so after I got back from the meeting this morning, I removed the stump...! |^|...now throughout the rest of the day, I will take moments to arrange the river rock and start adding plants...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

..a good start....have fun, I can't wait to see it all unfold.. |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

...how's the tank coming along now... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

...I've been going along slowly with it, taking the plants out of the 54 and cleaning them, removing dead or dying leaves, and trimming the best shoots to use and then placing them in the 125...daily bringing 6-18 gallons of RO water daily from the vending machines at the clubhouse...I have an HMF that should arrive today, and a few plants from a friend in WA...The plan is to have everything moved over by Sunday night....

...I don't like showing pics until my tanks are grown in but I'll attach some here...these pics sere just quick snaps...best ones will be when I take them at night and there is no glare or washout...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...one more...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

...very nice.... |^|...it won't be long... |^|
Jon

Ron Sower

...I really hate the way a tank looks when it's first planted...unless one has tons of fully grown plants it always looks so sparse!...I'll really start liking it in about 4 -6 weeks once the plants get some growth on them...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on November 24, 2017, 09:36:39 AM
...I really hate the way a tank looks when it's first planted...unless one has tons of fully grown plants it always looks so sparse!...I'll really start liking it in about 4 -6 weeks once the plants get some growth on them...

I wish the I had your knack for planted tanks....your skill at it amazes me.....
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on November 24, 2017, 09:51:29 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on November 24, 2017, 09:36:39 AM

I wish the I had your knack for planted tanks....your skill at it amazes me.....
...thank you...but the plants do all the work!!!...I just supply nutrients and light...! |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...yesterday the HMF Tower came early in the day and I got it installed in the end of the tank nearest the wall...I scooped out a lot of substrate to set it down on the bottom of the tank...that stirred up a lot of fine cloudy sediment and the water is still milky this morning...but it will clear in time....

...I use Safe-T-Sorb for substrate and it takes a LOT of rinsing and even after that it still clouds the water...but I've been using it for years now and it always settles out and the "dust" works its way to the bottom of the substrate layer....thanks to the little hardworking cories!...

...as I observe the tank through the next few weeks, I know I'll be moving plants around a little and maybe even remove some...and I've already started removing some of the rocks...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

...any floating plants planned...?
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on November 25, 2017, 10:44:21 AM
...any floating plants planned...?
...not yet...any suggestions?...I do have some water sprite that's planted but could easily float....
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...got almost all the rest of the plants in the substrate...

...ordered the 72" Green Leaf light for it....

...moved most of the fish into it...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on November 26, 2017, 09:26:13 PM
...got almost all the rest of the plants in the substrate...

...ordered the 72" Green Leaf light for it....

...moved most of the fish into it...

...That's great.....it's all coming together now... |^|
Jon

Ron Sower

...UPDATE...

...the light came in...It's an EVO Green Element, not Green Leaf...but it was a 10000K Actinic and I sent it back for the one I ordered which was a 6500K...finally got it yesterday and I set it up last night...

...so during the time that I had used several lights that apparently I shouldn't have because I now am blessed with a good bit of algae on my plants...including BGA!...yuck...

...anyway... I spent about an hour last night, before giving in to the rack monster, watching my Panda cories spawning....the males were relentless with the girls...remind me of male guppies on the scent...

...even though the substrate is pretty well covered with plants, there was enough open space that I could see the females clasping single eggs in their ventral fins...then they'd scoot in under a plant leaf and stay there a while before returning to the fracas...I doubt that the eggs or fry will survive due to the 2 large blue silver female angels I keep in that tank...they're always foraging around for food...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron