• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 12:50:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 140
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 151
Total: 151

My half black project

Started by LizStreithorst, November 19, 2017, 05:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I took some adult Blue Silvers to the LFS Monday.  I just called Ken and he agreed to swap them out with me for some adults that will sell for him better than these. The general fish buying public thinks that silvers are a snore.  They don't even notice the blue and the pearl scaling. 

I'll go in tomorrow and make the swap.  I have a good pair of silver blues but all the rest of my pearl scales are ghosts.  This project is hard enough as it is without me introducing the stripe-less gene.  I may not be fluent in Greek but I have good instincts.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 21, 2017, 03:26:27 PM
The good half black pair spawned yesterday and are guarding a ton of eggs.  The silver pearl scale pair have been very stressed in their love nest since I moved them.  I don't know what's up with that.  They were pecking and cleaning and driving the other fish off when I moved them huh

I've found on pairs like that ..it sometimes helps if you bring a third angel along temporarily....a male.....then the true pair will bond against the 'intruder;.....it doesn't take long either..just a few minutes usually....have a net ready to rescue the boy tho.... |^|......if she picks the intruder, take him out anyway to keep the pair you've chosen....things will settle down...

I've, also, put a pair in the same 5gal bucket before introducing them to their new home for 10-15mins.....then put the female in first.....then she only gets to choose that male when he's added after a few minutes more time lapses....

My theory...it's all about the female choosing.....works here.. :)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

When I write about this project I should only put it here, but I blathered on about this somewhere else and I don't know where.

Mug says that I should use my straight blue silvers to breed to the half blacks.  I agreed, but I'd already put a male blue pearl scale ghost and a female pearl scale female and laid a ton of eggs.  Today they have a ton of wigglers.  I have a feeling that they will raise them and be protective parents.  I'll post a pic of the parents when I drain enough tea water from the tank and replace it with normal aged tap.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 29, 2017, 05:02:23 PM
When I write about this project I should only put it here, but I blathered on about this somewhere else and I don't know where.

Mug says that I should use my straight blue silvers to breed to the half blacks.  I agreed, but I'd already put a male blue pearl scale ghost and a female pearl scale female and laid a ton of eggs.  Today they have a ton of wigglers.  I have a feeling that they will raise them and be protective parents.  I'll post a pic of the parents when I drain enough tea water from the tank and replace it with normal aged tap.

My thinking was the blue silver wouldn't have the pearl to start with....avoiding any fry count issues that the pearls sometimes are known to cause......pearl can be crossed in later after a nice clean line is established....  huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

If I don't do it now I will loose the PS gene because I'm not breeding for it.  The fish are good and it they raise that multitude of fry, it proves that they are genetically strong.  The non pearl scale are also very blue and what to breed .  I can't give them the chance now.  They might produce a ton of wigglers and raise them and I'll have no choice but to toss all the free loaders.

I have to always keep my goal in mind.  I don't want to just crank them out any more.  It's not that satisfying.  I want to make something unusual and what I make needs to be strong.  I think that these pearls scales are strong.

I know that I'll end up with all blue silvers and that I'll have to be real lucky to choose the right fish to breed.  My goal is almost impossible.  Sp what?  This is my hobby and can do as I choose.

GeorgeG

I have 8 of the Blue Pearlscales if your every need to look for some fry. Mine are just coming to age where I think I saw two pairing off this week.I will take a photo of them when I pull a pair and place them in a 29 gallon tank, right now they have been growing out in a 180 gallon with my 10 Platinum Superveils.

LizStreithorst

Ron Sower

...I want to see too, George....may I come visit you one day?...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on November 29, 2017, 09:37:16 PM
...I want to see too, George....may I come visit you one day?...

....you guys are close ....that would be great if you could meet up  |^|
Jon

GeorgeG

Ron you can come by on a weekend if you like. I have met Ron at on of the fish meetings a while back in the summer.

Ron Sower

....sounds good...I'll holler at you to set it up on a day when I come up that way for a meeting...okay with you?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

pwsusi

LizStreithorst - good luck with your project and please keep us posted. I'm working towards a similar goal so maybe we can collaborate at some point. If you can get the pearlscale and stripeless in the line that would be fantastic.  Good luck.

LizStreithorst

The project is on hold because the half blacks have gone on strike.  I haven't given up on it, though.

pwsusi

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure they will pick back up again for you. Keep us posted. I will do the same. Thanks.

LizStreithorst

Suddenly and for no apparent reason the original pair got in the mood and I moved them to a love nest.  A pair of those stupid stripeless half blacks of mind decided to get it on so I gave them the love nest next door.  I sure hope they raise their kids.