• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 07:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 155
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 139
Total: 140

Chelating chemicles

Started by Ron Sower, November 15, 2017, 05:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...do any of you know a chemical or product that I can use to remove the calcium and magnesium from my water that I test-filled the 125 with.. registers about 600 TDS...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on November 15, 2017, 05:29:47 PM
...do any of you know a chemical or product that I can use to remove the calcium and magnesium from my water that I test-filled the 125 with.. registers about 600 TDS...

.....vinegar and a single edged razor works for me.....but I have used the 'Dollar Tree' pre mixed 'CLR' type product for the bad tanks too......comes in a green spray bottle....

.....cheap toothpaste and a green pad....wet it, coat the area.......and  then scrub it off with green scrubby and razor blade, when needed....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

I would think that things like tea extract or peat moss (or peat moss extract) would remove those ions by chelating them out of solution in the water.
They are used to soften water, I believe.
Alternatively, a water softener treatment would work.

LizStreithorst

I don't know what minerals are in my water.  I used to use RO but I've found that Roobios tea works well and cost less.  I don't use it on adults and grow outs, they don't mind the minerals.  I use is on breeders to allow the eggs to hatch.

Do you know your gH and kH.  A high gH is no big deal.  A high kH is what keeps eggs from hatching.  Both gH and kH are a part of TDS.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: Mugwump on November 15, 2017, 05:46:28 PM
Quote from: Ron Sower on November 15, 2017, 05:29:47 PM

.....vinegar and a single edged razor works for me.....but I have used the 'Dollar Tree' pre mixed 'CLR' type product for the bad tanks too......comes in a green spray bottle....

.....cheap toothpaste and a green pad....wet it, coat the area.......and  then scrub it off with green scrubby and razor blade, when needed....

I should read better...LOL...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Citric acid is used to soften water in soaps and laundry detergents. A common synthetic chelator is EDTA. Phosphonates are also well-known chelating agents. Chelators are used in water treatment programs and specifically in steam engineering, e.g., boiler water treatment system: Chelant Water Treatment system. Although the treatment is often referred to as "softening," chelation has little effect on the water's mineral content, other than to make it soluble. What does change is the water's pH level, which is lowered.
Fertilizers

Metal chelate compounds are common components of fertilizers to provide micronutrients. These micronutrients (manganese, iron, zinc, copper) are required for the health of the plants. Most fertilizers contain phosphate salts that, in the absence of chelating agents, typically convert these metal ions into insoluble solids that are of no nutritional value to the plants. EDTA is the typical chelating agent that keeps these metal ions in a soluble form.[24]
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 15, 2017, 06:25:12 PM
I don't know what minerals are in my water.  I used to use RO but I've found that Roobios tea works well and cost less.  I don't use it on adults and grow outs, they don't mind the minerals.  I use is on breeders to allow the eggs to hatch.

Do you know your gH and kH.  A high gH is no big deal.  A high kH is what keeps eggs from hatching.  Both gH and kH are a part of TDS.
...I only know that the TDS is about 600ppm...I won't really be trying to breed fish actively, but it would be nice to have some Apistos and Plecos breeding passively...Most of the fish I'll keep will be from the waters of the Amazon...so softer and neutral to slightly acidic...

...I can use RO water but I was looking not to dump what's in there now. What I'll probably do is drain the tank about 2/3 and add back RO water from the clubhouse...that's a lot of buckets..!!!...but I can do that... |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron