• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 06:30:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 110
Total: 111

Stripe-less half Blacks spawned

Started by LizStreithorst, November 07, 2017, 06:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

A pair spawned when I first got them but they were so small that I didn't want them being parents until they grew to a decent size.  The seller told me that he had too many fish crammed into too small a tank which explains why they were so small.  I have given them lots of food, lots of elbow room, and lots of food since then and they have grown well.

A couple of weeks ago I saw what appeared to be a pair hanging around the penis.  I approved of them.  they were the best male and the best female.  I gave them a love nest and then saw no action for almost 3 weeks.  This evening they spawned.  It's a nice size spawn, too. 

These fish are pretty inbred.  The seller got the original pair from Angels Plus and has been working with them for 4 generations.  I don't imagine that the fish have many parental instincts left.  I'll give them 4 tries at parent raising before I suck it up and pull a spawn.  My good half black pair will raise a ton of fry if I wink at them.  I very much want to cross the lines not only to avoid inbreeding, for to see what I'll get.  My guess is that the fist cross will result in all silver half blacks with longer fins (the stripe-less are veils) and that when I breed sib to sib from them, I will get 1/4 stripe-less and 3/4 silver half blacks.  Am I correct?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 07, 2017, 06:29:36 PM
A pair spawned when I first got them but they were so small that I didn't want them being parents until they grew to a decent size.  The seller told me that he had too many fish crammed into too small a tank which explains why they were so small.  I have given them lots of food, lots of elbow room, and lots of food since then and they have grown well.

A couple of weeks ago I saw what appeared to be a pair hanging around the penis.  I approved of them.  they were the best male and the best female.  I gave them a love nest and then saw no action for almost 3 weeks.  This evening they spawned.  It's a nice size spawn, too. 

These fish are pretty inbred.  The seller got the original pair from Angels Plus and has been working with them for 4 generations.  I don't imagine that the fish have many parental instincts left.  I'll give them 4 tries at parent raising before I suck it up and pull a spawn.  My good half black pair will raise a ton of fry if I wink at them.  I very much want to cross the lines not only to avoid inbreeding, for to see what I'll get.  My guess is that the fist cross will result in all silver half blacks with longer fins (the stripe-less are veils) and that when I breed sib to sib from them, I will get 1/4 stripe-less and 3/4 silver half blacks.  Am I correct?

...regardless of stripeless, or not.....if you breed H to H....they'll all be H....then if the parents carry the stripeless......(1) dose stripeless a ghost..(2) doses of stripeless blushing.... :)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Wow, you just 'spalined to me something that I have never understood.  Now I know why some of my stripeless fish are blushers and most are not.

If I'm still  breeding fish when I'l old as dirt, like you, what would be the best way to introduce blue?  I have tons of strains of blues.  I have pearl scale ghosts, plats, and silvers, as well as a clown of two.  More than the blue, I would love to see Half Black pearl scales.  I'm leaning toward the blue silver half blacks

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 07, 2017, 06:59:13 PM
Wow, you just 'spalined to me something that I have never understood.  Now I know why some of my stripeless fish are blushers and most are not.

If I'm still  breeding fish when I'l old as dirt, like you, what would be the best way to introduce blue?  I have tons of strains of blues.  I have pearl scale ghosts, plats, and silvers, as well as a clown of two.  More than the blue, I would love to see Half Black pearl scales.  I'm leaning toward the blue silver half blacks

I'd use the blue silvers........keep it simple to start.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

THANK YOU, SIR!  I have good instincts when it comes to breeding.  I lack the nuts and bolts of it.  I hope that I'm still doing this when I'm 76.  In ten years I might get to see the fish I have in my mind's eye.  It's a Half Black blue pearl scale.  Both striped and stripeless would turn me on no end.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 07, 2017, 07:22:53 PM
THANK YOU, SIR!  I have good instincts when it comes to breeding.  I lack the nuts and bolts of it.  I hope that I'm still doing this when I'm 76.  In ten years I might get to see the fish I have in my mind's eye.  It's a Half Black blue pearl scale.  Both striped and stripeless would turn me on no end.

....and I would be happy to be here and see them too.... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

waterboy

I hope you make it too.  Blue Half Blacks seem to be a sort of elusive goal.  A guy in Chicago developed some a few years ago and some other people were working on them. I haven't heard of anyone with any success.  Something about the Half Black and the Blue that doesn't seem to mix too well.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on November 07, 2017, 11:30:59 PM
I hope you make it too.  Blue Half Blacks seem to be a sort of elusive goal.  A guy in Chicago developed some a few years ago and some other people were working on them. I haven't heard of anyone with any success.  Something about the Half Black and the Blue that doesn't seem to mix too well.

....I believe that was Frank...he still works 'em...
Jon

Mugwump

Jon

waterboy

Yes Frank the Plumber.  Haven't heard anything from or about him in a long time.  I thought he had left the fish hobby.  That one doesn't look too Blue to me, maybe just the light.

I think Joel in Janesville was going to try to make some too, but haven't heard if he is doing any good or not.

I don't think I have ever seen any Blue Half Blacks on Aquabid.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on November 08, 2017, 08:20:21 AM
Yes Frank the Plumber.  Haven't heard anything from or about him in a long time.  I thought he had left the fish hobby.  That one doesn't look too Blue to me, maybe just the light.

I think Joel in Janesville was going to try to make some too, but haven't heard if he is doing any good or not.

I don't think I have ever seen any Blue Half Blacks on Aquabid.

https://www.facebook.com/Franks-Fish-Room-661669497312434/
Jon