• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 10:50:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 292
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 292
Total: 292

Poor Saint Puppy

Started by LizStreithorst, November 03, 2017, 05:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

It's been a rough couple of weeks here on the animal front.  Don't ask because I'd rather not talk about it.

Yesterday morning I noticed my number 1 dog walking stiff on his legs.  Last week he was running (slowly, but he would run to greet me when I drove up).  When I got home from training with Bruno last night he was having a hard time standing up.  This morning he had to woof me to tell me that he needed to be helped up.  I made an appointment with my vet for after work.

Saint Puppy is a chow.  He had just one characteristic of a show Chow.  He has little rear leg angulation.  It's in the breed standard!  If a chow has sound rear legs he won't win in the show ring.  Pisses me off but that's a rant for another time.

He was up and about when I got home from work which was a great relief.

Puppy has had 2 knee surgeries because he was gifted genetically breed standard legs.  His overall condition is exceptional for his age.  I had blood work done on him in March and it was perfect!  He does have cataracts but in March the vet said that the eyes only had a 40% deficit of vision, which is fine for a Chow his age. 

It's just arthritis in those back legs.  I saw Dr. Sara this time.  All the vets at my place are good.  I got Dr. Sara this time.  I used to work with her.  We like one another.  She put him on a dog non-steroidal and a good joint supplement.  The next step is Neuranton (sp)  It's a human med and it works on the nerves.

I hope to get another year from him.  I just want to make it so he takes joy in life.  Once the hurting takes his happiness away I will have to do the hard thing. He's had his meds and is comfortable now.  The worst thing about dogs is that we love them so much and they don't live as long as we do.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 03, 2017, 05:43:42 PMThe worst thing about dogs is that we love them so much and they don't live as long as we do.
...that's the truth...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

LizStreithorst

A happy update on my old man.  He Got up on his own this morning and is apparently back to his normal self.  He ran up to the car as I was driving in from work.  He loves being on meds because he gets them in a treat.  We're both happy today.

Rjb3

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Just an update because I love this dog so much.  He is still apparently pain free, but I'm sure that the does have pain because he never let on to me that he was hurting at all until he started having serious pain. 

Dr. Sara has arthritis in her knees and spine as well.  When she examined Saint Puppy one of the things she did was lift his back feet and turn them backwards in a natural way.  He couldn't figure out how to get his foot back to where he could stand on it.  After she did it may times he figured it out.  Sara said that if she took X-rays she knew where she would see the arthritic joints at the rear most point of his loin.  The swelling was restricting the flow of information to his nerves.  That's why she said the next step would be Neurontin.

I arrived early for training class because Saint Puppy wanted to come with me and he'd done it before.  I was amazed me how good he was at it.  We were healing when Trish showed drove up.  She remembered him.  I told her about his problems.  From what she said, I need to ask Dr. Sara about steroids rather than Rimadyl.  He's doing well on the non-steroidal.  But Trish suggested that a low day dose of a steroid should work better.  Saint Puppy is 14 years old which is getting really up there for a Chow.  I need to consult with Sara about this.  I bet I can do it via email and I will be charged nothing.

Mugwump

....poor pup.....anything that can help his quality of life at his age should be explored.....he deserves it.... |^|

I hope all goes well..... |^|
Jon