• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 07:22:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 133
Total: 133

Baby chick is hatching

Started by LizStreithorst, October 30, 2017, 03:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

The little thing is breaking through the shell.  I can hear it peeping inside.  Another has started to break though the shell, but I hear nothing.  No action yet from the other 5 eggs, but this has started three days before I expected it to.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It's official.  I'm a chicken grandmother |^|

Mugwump

..congrat's Grandma !!!.....gonna knit 'em some booties.....tee hee......jk
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

Barb

That's just great, maybe it is a he?  How long until you can sex a chick?  What do you look for??????
Barb

LizStreithorst

Number two is working at getting out as I type.  Chicks can be sexed at a day old but it takes an Asian expert or instruction from one.  It takes them like 2 seconds per chick.  Where I live there are no hatcheries so I have to wait until the chicks are 4 to 6 months old and start showing secondary sexual characteristics.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 30, 2017, 06:45:49 PM
Number two is working at getting out as I type.  Chicks can be sexed at a day old but it takes an Asian expert or instruction from one.  It takes them like 2 seconds per chick.  Where I live there are no hatcheries so I have to wait until the chicks are 4 to 6 months old and start showing secondary sexual characteristics.

..this work?

Jon

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

That might help me a lot.  Number three is peeping inside her shell and has made a breathing hole in it.  I'll check them tomorrow or the day after. 

Mugwump

..going to name 'em?.......my brother and I had two chickens. Henny and Penny, when we were kids.... :D
Jon

wsantia1

Congrats on the chicks Liz.  |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

None of the others hatched, in fact I'm going backwards.  One of the chicks had a herniated umbilicus.  It was the prettiest one but I had no choice but to cull it. 

Mama is taking good care of her two babies.  She's taught them were the feeder and waterer are.  They're in one of my huge fish containers in the fish room where it's always nice and warm.

Mugwump

..so have you picked a favorite chicken yet?......named it?... :)
Jon