• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 09:55:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 167
Total: 168

back from gcca auction

Started by b125killer, May 27, 2013, 09:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I made It back from the auction in one piece. I got too many fish. I couldn't help myself. I want to thank Frank I think I got most all of his angels. I waited to take pics of them to let them settle in and get the colors back.
I got 5 apistogramma cacatuoides dirt cheap 2 bucks for 5. I think I'm going to sell them off. There just males that I don't need and take up tank space.

I got alot of angels and most are from Frank. Thanks Frank, It was good seeing you there too. I had to move up closer to auctioneer. I couldn't hear him. Plus they where using alot of the Latin Names for the fish. I don't know alot of the Latin Names. I do know alot more of them now. 
Here are the angels I got.
albino Koi, One of Franks. Is this the one that already has a pic on this forum? She's beautiful and looks great in the planted tank with the smokey albinos and chocolate blues   

Silver blue there where a bunch of them and they also came from Frank

chocolate blue from Frank. This is my second batch of chocolate blues from frank. The first turned out so great I figured I would get another batch.

The last angel I got from Frank might be the most special one of all. Frank called it a silver ghost. He told me what it was, I was thinking there was only one person in the auction that could truly appreciate what it is so I got it.  I feel lucky to have it. I truly want to thank Frank for being there and letting me know.

I did try to get the half blacks and albinos but was out bid. That's okay I know the breeder  ;D
Also The angels that where from Frank went for the most money out of all the angels there. They where the best angels there.

Next on my list of angels where what They where calling a pineapple angel. I think they are paraiba Koi. Please Correct me if I'm wrong. They weren't showing the colors all that great in the bag. I did get them cheap. 5 for 4 bucks. I was just wondering what it was. I haven't heard of them before.

I also got some gold marble angels. Partly because I was pressured into them. and partly to replace my old gold marble that pass a few weeks back. I got 4 for 2 bucks. I think at the end of the auction they where just  tired and where trying to get it over. also there wasn't that many people there at the end. The hole thing lasted almost 5 hours. I know I was getting tired.

This is the back of my truck after the auction. I'm glade that most of them went home with Dan. I still need to learn the Latin Names for the next auction. There could be a rare and expensive fish go for cheap and I wouldn't know it because I didn't now the name. I do see why a breeder wouldn't care much for the auction. A lot of fish sold way to cheap. There where more Labidochromis caeruleus( yellow Lab)  at the auction then I think in the wild. They were selling them by the bag fulls for 1 buck. But for a buyer it's a great place to get some good deals. The only thing I didn't see there were discus and rams.
Scott

Mugwump

It certainly looks like you had a good time, and got some really nice stock to work with....If you're into the Africans a lot..learn the names, if you only want 'select' cichlids..you'll want to know those alone....I'll bet some of those were mis-named anyway....LOL..

Was the auctioneer still 'snooty' when selling the angels?...or did they clean up their act with that?.... ;D I may have to come up and see your new treasures, I know Frank has nice stock...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

They weren't snooty with the angels but they didn't know what they were talking about. Frank had great descriptions of what the angels where and it was over there heads. for example the don't know that pearlscale and glitter are two different things. They were saying glitter was pearlscale. And most of the angels that where there went for a few dollars. Dan got his proven breeding pair for 5 dollars. I don't think that Frank wasn't expecting too much from the auction. I did get a few of Franks Fry pushed up for more than I think he would of sold them at a swap. I was happy, that if I couldn't get them I was going to make someone else pay for them.     
Scott

Frank The Plumber

I usually leave early so I don't see too many of my fish sold. I bailed at around 11:15. I'm glad that most of the kids found a home with you. The albino koi is a bit vision impaired, she needs to get a bit of food placed near her so she can see it in a busy tank.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

b125killer

I wouldn't of guessed that she was vision impaired. She is doing great in her new home. I guess It's a good thing I placed her in a tank that didn't have many angels in it. She gets right up there with the others to get her food. I do kind of cheat and feed them Brine shrimp and blood worms with a baster. That way I can make sure everyone gets some. She Is such a pretty girl. She is one of my favorites.
So what's up with the pineapple angel? I'm I wright in calling it a Paraiba Koi?   
Scott

Mugwump

I think your ok with Pariaba Koi....the pb gene just won't show much...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I love the auction! I sold all the apistogramma cacatuoides for 50 bucks. That makes me happier than a two peckered billy goat.
The guy wanted my Pariaba Koi and  chocolate blue angels too. I just couldn't do that one. I need to see if I can get the koi to pair up. And I want to see the chocolate blues grow up to see how beautiful they turn out to be.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on June 01, 2013, 11:13:42 AM
I love the auction! I sold all the apistogramma cacatuoides for 50 bucks. That makes me happier than a two peckered billy goat.
The guy wanted my Pariaba Koi and  chocolate blue angels too. I just couldn't do that one. I need to see if I can get the koi to pair up. And I want to see the chocolate blues grow up to see how beautiful they turn out to be.

nice....who was the lucky guy??...
Jon

Frank The Plumber

Two things...I have more chocolate blue pearls and.........what the heck petting zoos did you go to when you were a kid?   :o
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

b125killer

I already have the chocolate blue pearls. I also have a some that paired up. They'er just waiting for a new tank. I'm more interested in the half black that you brought to the auction. ;D
As far as the petting zoo my dad knew a guy that knew a guy. that had some happy billy goats  :P   
Scott

Frank The Plumber

The half black blushers? Or the Partials and non expressing that are Pb/-?

b125killer

I think they were the half black blushers. They were the ones that were expressing at 62 days
Scott

Frank The Plumber

b125killer

Scott

Frank The Plumber

Geez. They are going for between 90 and 150 for 12 on AB.