• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 08:50:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 152
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 174
Total: 175

Great Tits Are Evolving

Started by Mugwump, October 20, 2017, 05:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Great Tits Are Evolving Longer Beaks Because of Bird Feeders
By Kristin Hugo On 10/19/17 at 2:56 PM

Certain birds in the U.K. have longer beaks than their non-U.K. brethren of the same species. Evolutionary biologists suggest that it?s the British people?s fondness for setting out bird feeders that is behind this trend. The hobby appears to be directly impacting evolution.

Researchers studied beak lengths of great tits in the U.K., where bird feeders are popular, and in the Netherlands, where they are not. They also tracked the location of tagged tits to determine how much time they spent at bird feeders. The scientists also have 70 years? worth of historical data on great tits and could discern that their beak lengths are changing with time. The study was published today in the journal Science.

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It is a great looking Tit.  I wish we had tits like that down south here.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 20, 2017, 07:22:59 PM
It is a great looking Tit.  I wish we had tits like that down south here.

....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL  :)
Jon

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron