• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:12:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,249
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 128
Total: 128

Just a box....

Started by Mugwump, October 14, 2017, 10:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

...i really miss having cats and kittens around...but alas...Lucy's allergic to them... :(
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on October 14, 2017, 11:31:39 AM
...i really miss having cats and kittens around...but alas...Lucy's allergic to them... :(

...disguise it  8)......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

...to make it look like a dog?...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on October 14, 2017, 11:42:31 AM

...LOL...I doubt that would work for any cat.... huh
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on October 14, 2017, 11:51:47 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on October 14, 2017, 11:42:31 AM

...LOL...I doubt that would work for any cat.... huh
...me neither... :(
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I don't guess that where you live a strictly outdoor cat would work.  On top of it not being safe,  Miss Lucy would start sneezing every time you got close to her after having petted the cat.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 14, 2017, 03:18:13 PM
I don't guess that where you live a strictly outdoor cat would work.  On top of it not being safe,  Miss Lucy would start sneezing every time you got close to her after having petted the cat.

....surprisingly.....Manny is a Siamese/Persian mix....and our allergic daughter's in laws, and kids have no problems around him.......it's the saliva, not so much the dander, that most folks have problems with....cats clean themselves a lot.....
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on October 14, 2017, 11:31:39 AM

It's funny that I am not allergic to cats but I am to dogs. Guess what I have. Yes Kobe is a dog. He is a broken coated Jack Russell. For clarification on what that means I think Liz would be best able to explain it. lol
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

lol  I can do that, I think.  Jack Russell's come in two different coat types, same as Fox Terriers.  The smooths have a short smooth coat that sheds constantly and no undercoat.    The broken or wire coated ones have a longer rough textured coat and also a a short soft undercoat.  They pretty much don't shed.  To maintin the texture of the rough coat it should be hand plucked.  When the coat gets scraggly looking you take a few hairs between your thumb and fore finger and twist your wrist.  Each hair has a weak spot in it where it breaks off.  It is not painful to the dog.  If the dog was running through brush hunting every day nature would do it but since our dogs don't do that, we do it for them.

Show breeders do something called "rolling the coat"  where you only take enough hair off every few weeks to enhance the conformation of the dog.   The other way to do it is once a year to pluck the dog down to the undercoat.  A dog with a rolled coat always looks good.  The once a year way of doing it makes the dog look kind of ugly for a while because you have taken the coat down to undercoat.

Using a clipper on broken coated dogs ruins the harsh texture of the coat as cutting the hair encourages undercoat growth and inhibits the growth of the good top coat.  There are some tricks you can use to make a clipped coat stay hard and  but this is only good for pets, not show dogs.  If a coat has been clipped it is never the same as a coat that has been cared for the correct way.

Make sense to anyone but me?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 14, 2017, 03:18:13 PM
....you're right....!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron