• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 03:49:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 268
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 257
Total: 258

Y'all should see these half black kids

Started by LizStreithorst, October 13, 2017, 06:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Oh shit, I'm out of two mil bags!  I need to call Jehmco now!
Always move forward. Never look back.

waterboy

Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Babers

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 13, 2017, 06:24:16 PM
They are so small but they have all turned.  I am impressed with what this pair that I paid too much for has produced in it's first spawn.  I'll take a pic and post it may be Sunday.  Too tired now, and haven't eaten yet.

Sorry, I was just trying to catch up on reading previous posts. I know this post is a few months old. I've heard of so many tricks on "helping" them express...lights, food, temperature, background, black gravel/sand....and I be heard of just good husbandry. I've had a few spawns and all I got were a few expressing Halfblacks. Nothing spectacular like yours. Can you share what you've done to get this high of expression on this batch?
Joel

LizStreithorst

I treat them same as I would Discus.  WC every day and feeding 3 times daily when they're young.  I feed mosquito larvae when they're available and the babies are large enough to take them.  I don't if that's why I have good luck or not.  It's just the way I've always done things.

I did run into a problem with a line I started years ago.  I crossed a Zebra from Angels Plus with a Half Black from George Garcia.  Out of around 500 fry I had one with a black tail and one that was 1/3 black.  They turned out to be a male and a female.  When I bred them together all the babies were half black.  I bred sib to sib and back to parents for so many generations that they became inbred and slam quit turning.  I can think of no other reason that happened.  That's why I'm so into fresh blood this time around. 

Babers

Did you have to limit their light exposure to an "X" number of hours per day? One of my halfblacks here , dark area on body fades but tail remains black when exposed to long periods of light. So I'm thinking lighting can be a factor too? Idk.
Joel

LizStreithorst

I don't do anything special with lighting.  I set the timers for 5 minutes on and 5 minutes off.  I just use cheap fluorescent from the hardware store.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 12, 2018, 08:11:21 AM
I don't do anything special with lighting.  I set the timers for 5 minutes on and 5 minutes off.  I just use cheap fluorescent from the hardware store.

.... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Babers

Is this alternating on/off continues throughout the 24 hour period on them?
Joel

Mugwump

Quote from: Babers on March 12, 2018, 08:49:19 AM

Is this alternating on/off continues throughout the 24 hour period on them?

..it's border line hypnotic....... huh
Jon

LizStreithorst

waterboy

Why the on - off blinking?  If you don't mind my asking.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: waterboy on March 12, 2018, 09:51:56 AM

I must have been drunk when I wrote the 5 minutes on 5 minutes off thing.  I don't know what I was thinking.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 12, 2018, 12:52:37 PM
Quote from: waterboy on March 12, 2018, 09:51:56 AM

I must have been drunk when I wrote the 5 minutes on 5 minutes off thing.  I don't know what I was thinking.

....LOL...... huh
Jon