• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:35:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,249
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 151
Total: 152

Axoloti

Started by Mugwump, October 11, 2017, 07:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Incredible recuperative powers

Though people and most animals are able to sufficiently heal a cut, replace portions of dead or damaged skin, or even regenerate a small part of an internal organ, axolotls are virtually unique among vertebrates in that they can completely regenerate entire limbs and organs. Instead of merely forming scar tissue over a wound, as most vertebrates do when healing, the axolotl can regenerate entire body parts, including whole limbs, gills, eyes, kidneys, even large portions of its liver and its heart muscle.

If it loses its tail, it can eventually replace it?skin, muscle and all.1 Even portions of its spine and brain can be regenerated, something which is a near-impossibility with almost every other vertebrate. Parts of other axolotl embryos can even be spliced onto others.

Juvenile axolotls seem to be able to regenerate body parts quickly, while adults either replace parts more slowly or not at all. However, once an axolotl metamorphoses into a land animal, whether naturally or artificially, it can no longer regenerate as it could in its larval state.2

Inset image: Logan City Pet Country, petcountry@bigpond.com
References

Eng, C., Axolotl health, <www.geocities.com/Yose mite/4301/axolotlhealth.htm>, 8 December 2004.
    Pickin, L., Keeping axolotls, 8 December 2004.

-more-
https://creation.com/the-axolotl-the-fish-that-walks

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Its my understanding that all salamanders can regenerate limbs.
Zebrafish can regenerate heart tissue.
Most or all fish can regenerate fin tissue (the fish equivalent of limbs).

Regenerating brain is a pretty good trick though. Haven't heard of that one before.

Interestingly, the mammalian equivalent of amphibian metamorphosis occur at birth.
A spike in thyroxin hormone occurs in both cases.
In amphibians this leads to metamorphosis.
In fetal mammals, it leads to big changes in fetal circulation where blood goes to the lungs instead of to the placenta, as well as other changes.

BillT

Remember:
Axolotl you'll like a lotl.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on October 11, 2017, 09:23:44 PM
Remember:
Axolotl you'll like a lotl.

...they really are neat little creatures.... :)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

...I don't think I new that axolotls ever developed into land animals...gotta check that one out...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron