• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 03:14:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 159
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 124
Total: 124

Bulgarian Seal Point Angels Wanted

Started by GeorgeG, September 19, 2017, 06:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeG

Does anyone know if there were any successful spawning of them here in the states. I am now looking for some 6 to 8.

Mugwump

Quote from: GeorgeG on September 19, 2017, 06:12:32 AM
Does anyone know if there were any successful spawning of them here in the states. I am now looking for some 6 to 8.

Dena has some she's working with......Joel had a bunch too(Babers).....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

I bought some, lost some, have only males left.  One spawned with a blue silver, one spawned with a silver pearlscale.  Have some babies that are about 6 months old and some smaller.  No Seal Points yet just het, but I figure by spring I should have some if I am lucky.  (ever hear about not counting your eggs before they hatch? I'm counting.)

I saw someone else with the same problem (all Males) selling hets on aquabid a while back. Don't remember who it was.  I think Dena is working to isolate the Bulgarian Green gene and not necessarily to get Seal Points.  I am working to get Seal Points.  I would suspect that if anybody has any that everyone in the Angel world would know about it. 

Joel (Babers) might have kept some and spawned them but haven't heard from him in a while.  He still has them listed on his website, which makes me think he is not too active any more, bit I don't know for sure.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

...if I remember correctly, all the bg types sent over this way were mixes of various 'hets'.....Raiko never did isolate the bg gene....nor have success with reproducing the 'seal points' phenotypes....even what David got were mixes.......I think Carol was working with them too....but if there had been any success, we'd see them all over the place....

I'm thinking that the bg is epistatic to the pb gene.....for all the variants have pb in the het or homogeneous form....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

What does epistatic mean?  I thought it means "suppresses the expression of"  like a gold gene suppresses the expression of Zebra.

The ones I got from Joel are supposedly D/g -pb/pb - bg/bg. So the bg gene seems to be suppressing the expression of the Dark gene i think.  I'm not sure if the pb gene has anything to do with it or not.  Does there have to be pb genes present to have a Bulgarian Seal Point?  I don't think anyone knows yet. With my BSP - Blue Silver offspring I should get back to some D/g - pb/pb - bg/bg in the next generation.  We will see if all turns out OK.

No-one has ever seen a bg/bg that I know of. I know that a lot of the ones Dena has are supposedly Bulgarian Green crossed with a wild. I saw on a couple forums somewhere that a lot of the batch Dave Labell brought in were weak and didn't make it.  The batch that Joel brought in were all Bulgarian Seal Points, the white fish with the black fins.  Does the name Bulgarian Seal Point mean any fish with the bg gene, or just the White ones with the black fins?  I think there is a difference between Bulgarian Green and Bulgarian Seal Point, but maybe I am wrong. 

I agree that if someone was raising them in the US, everyone would know about it. Much like when anyone raises a batch of Altums word gets around.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on September 19, 2017, 01:03:22 PM
What does epistatic mean?  I thought it means "suppresses the expression of"  like a gold gene suppresses the expression of Zebra.

The ones I got from Joel are supposedly D/g -pb/pb - bg/bg. So the bg gene seems to be suppressing the expression of the Dark gene i think.  I'm not sure if the pb gene has anything to do with it or not.  Does there have to be pb genes present to have a Bulgarian Seal Point?  I don't think anyone knows yet. With my BSP - Blue Silver offspring I should get back to some D/g - pb/pb - bg/bg in the next generation.  We will see if all turns out OK.

No-one has ever seen a bg/bg that I know of. I know that a lot of the ones Dena has are supposedly Bulgarian Green crossed with a wild. I saw on a couple forums somewhere that a lot of the batch Dave Labell brought in were weak and didn't make it.  The batch that Joel brought in were all Bulgarian Seal Points, the white fish with the black fins.  Does the name Bulgarian Seal Point mean any fish with the bg gene, or just the White ones with the black fins?  I think there is a difference between Bulgarian Green and Bulgarian Seal Point, but maybe I am wrong. 

I agree that if someone was raising them in the US, everyone would know about it. Much like when anyone raises a batch of Altums word gets around.

Epistasis is the phenomenon where the effect of one gene (locus) is dependent on the presence of one or more 'modifier genes'
, i.e. the genetic background. Tho Originally the term meant that the phenotypic effect of one gene is masked by a different gene (locus).

..as or the pb, it seems to be involved with every bg variant that I've seen.....that's the mystery, yes....green vs seal point who knows huh....it's my humble opinion that Reaiko hasn't known what's involved either....and doesn't seem to care about isolating it either.....he's more into just doing phenotype crosses to see what he gets ???...because every variant is a mix of the same combos mostly.....

"No-one has ever seen a bg/bg that I know of. I know that a lot of the ones Dena has are supposedly Bulgarian Green crossed with a wild."

..Dena was getting a mix too.....Raiko hadn't isolated the bg...so if he crossed a bg containing angel...it was a mix also.......that's why she's been having issues with the isolation of bg.....especially when they contain recessive genes to begin with......it's a mess....
Jon

greydragon

some day i will have some b. seal point angels  but right now it is just a dream

GeorgeG

Thanks everyone I didn't think anyone had any success with them either so I will give up looking any more. I just thought by now there would be some around for sale.

waterboy

Quote from: GeorgeG on September 20, 2017, 05:53:45 AM
Thanks everyone I didn't think anyone had any success with them either so I will give up looking any more. I just thought by now there would be some around for sale.

As I said I MAY have some in the spring. Then again maybe not, we will see.  If or when someone has some I am sure everyone will know about it. 

You could ask Joel if he might have some.
http://www.angelsanddiscus.com/
Dale

Mugwump

Go to the FB page....Raiko just posted about Bulgarian Seal Point Blushing....
The parents of this fish are: (D / Gm - S / + - + / pb - + / bg) X (D / Gm - S / + - + / pb - + /bg). This fish is: D / Gm - S / S - bg / bg (+ / pb or pb / pb possible)

For thread and pics
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheAngelfishSociety/
Jon

LizStreithorst

:o  WOW!  Mug, you should ask for a finders fee for that  :o
Always move forward. Never look back.

waterboy

I don't know anything about facebook. I went to the link and after i finally got logged in I still couldn't see anything.  Maybe you could elaborate a little more.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: Mugwump on September 20, 2017, 06:00:00 PM
Go to the FB page....Raiko just posted about Bulgarian Seal Point Blushing....
The parents of this fish are: (D / Gm - S / + - + / pb - + / bg) X (D / Gm - S / + - + / pb - + /bg). This fish is: D / Gm - S / S - bg / bg (+ / pb or pb / pb possible)

For thread and pics
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheAngelfishSociety/

https://www.facebook.com/raiko.slavkov/videos/1543428012344679/

https://www.facebook.com/raiko.slavkov/videos/1543433559010791/
Jon

waterboy

All I get is

Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.
Dale

greydragon

maybe you are not a member of the facebook group it was shared in