• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 07:55:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 155
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 149
Total: 149

We have attachment

Started by LizStreithorst, August 31, 2017, 10:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

looks like 20 or 25.  It should be enough for them to raise.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 31, 2017, 10:14:03 AM

...most excellent !!!.....congrats  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on August 31, 2017, 10:20:21 AM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 31, 2017, 10:14:03 AM

...most excellent !!!.....congrats  ;D

+1
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

..so how are these doing now?....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

Jon

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

Due to my needy dog I haven't been in the mood to do anything other than necessary stuff.  I know it's crazy, but that's the way it is.  I have to been in the right mood to take pics.  I can't just go down and snap one huh  Sorry...

They are doing great.  They get their twice daily WC and twice daily BBS.  Dinner is Brewmaster's soft pellets except that this evening when I gave them their first taste of mosquito larvae.  A couple discovered them and got all excited about them, caught them and devoured them.  The Larvae pretty much hang out at the top so they can breath.  By nature Discus don't food at the top.  They can be trained, but it not their normal thing.  I need to buy them some live black worms...

There are only around 20 of them which is a blessing.  I have one deformed one that I keep trying to suck up during WC but I've found it hard to catch a cull either with a siphon or a net!  Hell, I have more baby Angel fry to cull than I like to see in two different spawns, and I don't know that I've caught half of them.  It's the dog's fault.  Really huh :-[

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 20, 2017, 06:37:57 PM
Due to my needy dog I haven't been in the mood to do anything other than necessary stuff.  I know it's crazy, but that's the way it is.  I have to been in the right mood to take pics.  I can't just go down and snap one huh  Sorry...

They are doing great.  They get their twice daily WC and twice daily BBS.  Dinner is Brewmaster's soft pellets except that this evening when I gave them their first taste of mosquito larvae.  A couple discovered them and got all excited about them, caught them and devoured them.  The Larvae pretty much hang out at the top so they can breath.  By nature Discus don't food at the top.  They can be trained, but it not their normal thing.  I need to buy them some live black worms...

There are only around 20 of them which is a blessing.  I have one deformed one that I keep trying to suck up during WC but I've found it hard to catch a cull either with a siphon or a net!  Hell, I have more baby Angel fry to cull than I like to see in two different spawns, and I don't know that I've caught half of them.  It's the dog's fault.  Really huh :-[

w!w |^| w!w
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on September 20, 2017, 07:02:21 PMIt's the dog's fault.  Really huh :-[
Hmmmm...At least the dog didn't eat your homework...!!! :D :D :D :D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

..these must be getting big by now?......pics yet?
Jon

LizStreithorst

They're not as large as I would like at this point but I'm pleased with their shape.  I'm still not the mood to take pics of them but snapped these shitty ones because after all your nagging for pics and me not posting everyone would think that I made this spawn up.

Mugwump

...you're right, a nice round uniform presentation  |^|

...thanks !
Jon

LizStreithorst

I took their parents away and put them in a 40 cube last week.  The parents were protecting them.  (God help my poor hand when I stuck it in the tank)  But the kids were no longer feeding from mom and dad and more growing space is a good thing.

The parents are pecking at the cone again but I will not add the tea that lowers the pH enough to allow the eggs to hatch.  I've kind of had it with Discus.  The parents are RSG's but tank bred Discus from Asia never breed true.  I'll get mostly Turks, and they won't come close to the size of the parents because I deduced that the parents were fed Testosterone to make them grow into huge show fish.  The side affect was that most of my group of RSG's are not fertile.

My advice to everyone is to not fall in love with Discus.  They will bring you more pain than joy.