• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 17, 2024, 08:46:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 210
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 142
Total: 142

Wigglers

Started by LizStreithorst, August 27, 2017, 08:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

A while back I put my big show male in a love nest with my best female that laid eggs for him in the community tank.  They spawned twice in the love nest.  The second time I watched and as she laid down run after run he just hung buy her and watched.  When she was done both pairs lovingly tended the eggs for 3 days until the eggs fungused and were eaten.  The guy had proven himself to be sterile long ago but I was hoping that things had changed.  They had not.  The poor guy wants to but he's unable to get it down.

I moved him back to the community tank and put another male who I did see fertilize once a full year ago when I first got them.  He has done nothing since but he couldn't stay in the community tank with the big male and the other Discus because the big boy would beat the crap out of him and he kept coming back for more.  I him in the love nest with the lady who was already there.

The pair spawned last week.  I watched the new guy do his job.  Lo and behold, this morning I have wigglers.  There aren't many of them.  Probably not enough for the parents to bother raising although I did have a pair once that raised just 6 kids.

These are both RSG's  I'd like to see what they produce but I won't be disappointed if the new kids end up being eaten.  I have too much going on with the Angles and for me Discus are cursed despite the fact that I love them the most.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...it'd be nice if you got a nice batch to raise.....discus are pretty fish... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

Those were damn nice looking RSGs if they are the ones I saw. Good luck with them. |^|
Dan

LizStreithorst

They're the same ones.  It's my best female and only fertile male.  He's an excellent fish but wouldn't stand a chance in the show ring against my sterile male.

It looks like just 20 or 25 wigglers which should be enough for them to spend time raising.  I'm the one who added the tea to the water which means`I want them to be successful even though I know that in the past Discus have only broken my heart.  It's happened so many times.  When will I learn?
Always move forward. Never look back.