• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 10:56:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 260
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 188
Total: 188

Farmers' Almanac

Started by Mugwump, August 18, 2017, 07:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Farmers' Almanac warns of brutal winter
The 2017-2018 winter weather forecast should elicit cheers from skiers, boarders and snowmobilers.

Because nothing good can last forever, the Farmers' Almanac has once again crashed the waning days of summer to remind us all that the cruel, dark days of winter are ominously beckoning.

For two centuries, the publication has been making advanced forecasts for the seasons using sunspot activity, tidal action, planetary position, and other "top secret mathematical and astronomical formulas." These predictions aren't exactly embraced by modern meteorologists, as you might be thinking.

But hey ? if you're someone eager to start planning for the cold days ahead, there's certainly no harm in seeing what Caleb Weatherbee and the team at the Almanac have to say about the 2017-2018 season. As the prediction map below shows, it appears that the eastern half of the country in particular would be well advised to stock up on shovels, heavy sweaters and warm socks.

Like other years, the Almanac has red-flagged certain dates to be wary of when planning any kind of travel. If the word "Snowpocalypse" sends a shiver down your spine and you happen to live along the Atlantic Seaboard, stay home Jan. 20 to 23, Feb. 4 to 7 and 16 to 19, and March 1 to 3 and 20 to 23.

"Being in the business of predicting long-range weather forecasts is exciting, worrisome and rewarding," Managing Editor Sandy Duncan said. "Many of our readers rejoice when we predict cold and snowy conditions while others complain that it's too cold and wet. Yet we have to stick by our predictions no matter what Mother Nature may throw at us."

Enjoy the summer, everyone. Winter, with all her frost, beauty and fury, will be making an entrance very soon.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'm right on the border between mild and damp and chilly and wet.  I much prefer mild and damp.
Always move forward. Never look back.

waterboy

I am sort of between "cold, average snowfall" and "cold,moderate snowfall not as harsh as usual".  In short it sounds like every winter for the last decade.  Cold I can live with, can always put on more cloths.  It's the 8-10 inches of snow in the driveway when I need to go somewhere that is the bummer.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

wallace

I'm on a borderline too. We have pretty nice winters here, a few snows that don't stick around very long. The only thing I complain about is the wind. In our location, on a south-facing ridge, we get tremendous winds whenever there is an approaching storm off the Pacific.
Dan