• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 04:59:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 268
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 319
Total: 319

the Solar Eclipse

Started by Mugwump, August 17, 2017, 07:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterboy

It is because the moon is moving in relation to the sun and earth. 
Managed to see most of it up until just about peak and then the clouds rolled in.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

I didn't have the glasses and I didn't make the box.  I think that the sun was obscured by clouds at least at first.  (I didn't dare look to see for sure).  I sat in the swing by the chicken house hoping to see them go to roost in the middle of the day but it didn't get dark enough here.  It did cool off enough to sit outside without sweating.  It became quiet and peaceful.  The skeeters figured it was meal time.  The coolest thing was the crescent shaped shadows.

I'm glad that my expectations weren't high.  I'm glad that it happened on my day off so I didn't have to miss it.  It wasn't a religious experience as some have described but I'm happy to have experienced it.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

This animation shows that the moon's shadow is moving west-to-east faster than the earth is turning. If the earth was turning faster the shadow would travel the other way. But then there would be shorter days and that would suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKFPL9xBe_U
Dan

Mugwump

..about an hour after the eclipse......the sun came out..... huh huh huh huh huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

It was a big dud here. Didn't even get close to dark. Had a T-storm roll by here on afternoon last week that made it look like night. This thing was barely cloudy.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

..is this cool or not.... 8)

The International Space Station is seen in silhouette as it transits the Sun during a partial solar eclipse today near Banner, Wyoming. (NASA/Joel Kowsky)

A closer look:

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.