• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 06:37:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 285
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 273
Total: 273

the Solar Eclipse

Started by Mugwump, August 17, 2017, 07:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

See How the Solar Eclipse Will Look From Anywhere in the U.S.

enter your zip and it'll give an approximate view.

http://time.com/4882923/total-solar-eclipse-map-places-view/

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

We have decided not to drive north to see totality. There will be 91% coverage of the sun right here at home. I hate, HATE, crowds and its shaping to be madness on the highways around here.

My poor old telescope, it has been outside collecting dust for 20 years. I'll dust it off and collimate the mirrors and see about getting a picture.

Dan

Mugwump

...the center of the path is about a couple hundred miles south of us, but we'll get about that here too......so we'll watch on the deck swing.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

Just checked DeKalb and you would have 88% coverage of the sun. I wonder how dim it will get? The eye perceives brightness in a sort of logarithmic way.
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on August 18, 2017, 11:44:48 AM
Just checked DeKalb and you would have 88% coverage of the sun. I wonder how dim it will get? The eye perceives brightness in a sort of logarithmic way.

....that's a neat link isn't it ?...... |^|

Jon

waterboy

You can't look at it. so I think I will just watch it on TV or some streaming website.  Saw the last one in the 70s with a hole in a piece of cardboard, wasn't impressed.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

waterboy

Got to thinking about it last night.  The sun and the moon both rise in the east and set in the west which means they are both traveling across the sky east to west.  Given that, why does the shadow travel from west to east, Oregon to Florida.  If someone could explain the physics behind that so that us dummies could understand it, I would appreciate it.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on August 21, 2017, 09:03:07 AM
Got to thinking about it last night.  The sun and the moon both rise in the east and set in the west which means they are both traveling across the sky east to west.  Given that, why does the shadow travel from west to east, Oregon to Florida.  If someone could explain the physics behind that so that us dummies could understand it, I would appreciate it.

The moon(monthly orbit) travels faster than the sun(yearly orbit).....so it simply passes it.....west coast time is earlier than east coast time....as it is the sun's position when it is passed....
Jon

wallace

Quote from: waterboy on August 21, 2017, 09:03:07 AM

Ever notice that the moon always shows up a little ways to the left of where it was yesterday at the same time? From our point of view on the ground the moon is slowly sliding across the sky to the left or eastward. During the eclipse the moon slides into the right side of the sun as the sun overtakes it. Sunshine happens first on the east coast but the shadow is moving twice as fast as the earth is turning, so the shadow is sort of passing up the progress of the day.

That's an awful explanation!.. lol... an animation would be easier, I'll see if I can find one.
Dan

wallace

The solar filter on the front of the scope with the camera at the focus. The eclipse should start in a few minutes.
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on August 21, 2017, 11:00:52 AM
The solar filter on the front of the scope with the camera at the focus. The eclipse should start in a few minutes.

...wonderful.... |^|
Jon

Mugwump

..I should add that it's so overcast here at the moment that the only thing we'll see is the darkness... wfwf

..hopefully it'll clear up some..... huh
Jon

wallace

Two things were a surprise. It started getting chilly. And if you look at your shadow the edges of your shadow are sharper than usual.

Dan

Mugwump

..the peak is past here...clouds obscured most of the event....not dark, but more like early twilight maybe....
Jon

Ron Sower

Fella came by with some glasses to view it...Missed the peak coverage, but saw it 1/3 covered....Nobody here died from it yet!!! |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron