• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 07:40:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 137
Total: 138

The chicken house

Started by LizStreithorst, August 14, 2017, 07:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Kennel blindness doesn't apply just to dog breeders, it's just the term that I know for falling in love with something you have made yourself and thinking that it is great when it is not.  My deceased husband was kennel blind about his fiction.  I have always been my hardest critic but kennel blindness can sneak up on you.  That's why I needed Judy's input before I put the latex color coat on the chicken house.  I respect her taste and honesty.

I called the chickens and fed them scratch while she and I sat in the swing evaluating the chicken house.  She mostly confirmed what I was thinking which was wonderful.  I said that if I put trim on a corner where my cuts weren't perfect,  and put a 1 X 4 over the ends of the rafters that the building would be good enough to paint in two shades of green, rather than just one.  In other words, my building is good looking enough that I can draw attention to it rather than make it disappear into the back ground. 

I'm stoked!

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 14, 2017, 07:15:03 PM
Kennel blindness doesn't apply just to dog breeders, it's just the term that I know for falling in love with something you have made yourself and thinking that it is great when it is not.  My deceased husband was kennel blind about his fiction.  I have always been my hardest critic but kennel blindness can sneak up on you.  That's why I needed Judy's input before I put the latex color coat on the chicken house.  I respect her taste and honesty.

I called the chickens and fed them scratch while she and I sat in the swing evaluating the chicken house.  She mostly confirmed what I was thinking which was wonderful.  I said that if I put trim on a corner where my cuts weren't perfect,  and put a 1 X 4 over the ends of the rafters that the building would be good enough to paint in two shades of green, rather than just one.  In other words, my building is good looking enough that I can draw attention to it rather than make it disappear into the back ground. 

I'm stoked!

.....I love it when a plan comes together !!!!   |^| |^| |^| |^| |^| |^| |^| |^| |^| |^| |^| w!w |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

That's great Liz. Yes pictures. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Barb

I  want to see it too Liz.
Barb

LizStreithorst

OK, but it still has just 2 coats of oil based primer on it because I didn't get reassured that it was nice looking enough that with a bit more work I could paint it two shades of green.  I need to get some plastic wood to fill in the cracks to the patch I made to cover a hole over the door.  I need 20 feet of trim for the corners where my cuts were off, and I need 20" of 1 X 4 to cover the exposed ends of the rafters.  One day I'll have to replace the door which I stole from the milking room of my dairy goat barn.  The weather is already taking a toll on the wafer board. 

The plan is to paint the bottom half a color called green sage.  The top half will be a color one step lighter called elm street.  I'll go with the dark green on the door until I'm forced to replace it with a plywood door.  The first rafters will be the darker color as will the 1 X 4's I use to cover the ends of the rafters.  Judy suggested that I leave the trim pieces white where I replaced the rotten wafer board with ply before I decide which way to go with them.  I don't think that I'll like the stark white but I won't decide what to to with it until I get the rest finished and step back and get an overall impression.  I'm thinking of going with the light green and using the darker to paint vine like leaves on it, but I'm not artistic that way so I donno.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 15, 2017, 04:02:53 PM
OK, but it still has just 2 coats of oil based primer on it because I didn't get reassured that it was nice looking enough that with a bit more work I could paint it two shades of green.  I need to get some plastic wood to fill in the cracks to the patch I made to cover a hole over the door.  I need 20 feet of trim for the corners where my cuts were off, and I need 20" of 1 X 4 to cover the exposed ends of the rafters.  One day I'll have to replace the door which I stole from the milking room of my dairy goat barn.  The weather is already taking a toll on the wafer board. 

The plan is to paint the bottom half a color called green sage.  The top half will be a color one step lighter called elm street.  I'll go with the dark green on the door until I'm forced to replace it with a plywood door.  The first rafters will be the darker color as will the 1 X 4's I use to cover the ends of the rafters.  Judy suggested that I leave the trim pieces white where I replaced the rotten wafer board with ply before I decide which way to go with them.  I don't think that I'll like the stark white but I won't decide what to to with it until I get the rest finished and step back and get an overall impression.  I'm of going with the light green and using the darker to paint vine like leaves on it, but I'm not artistic that way so I donno.

....ever thought of a light for over the door?......they make real good solar lights too for that.....maybe a red light?....you know..the 'hen house' is open for business     huh
Jon

LizStreithorst

A red light on a timer would be too cool.  Solar will not work. The building is always in shade.  I'd really like to wire it but it would take a whole lot of work on my part.  I'd have to run romex from the chicken house, through the attic the other side of the house and down to the breaker box. I could do it, but I don't want to.  I'm afraid of electricity.  I'll do iif it becomes necessary.

I do have the torso and head of a female manikin that I want to work into the project as a focal point.  She has arms that move.  She could hold a basket of fake eggs.  I'd need to find a good way to cover her breasts that I wouldn't have to re position every time the wind blows.

wallace

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 15, 2017, 05:49:51 PM
A red light on a timer would be too cool.  Solar will not work. The building is always in shade.  I'd really like to wire it but it would take a whole lot of work on my part.  I'd have to run romex from the chicken house, through the attic the other side of the house and down to the breaker box. I could do it, but I don't want to.  I'm afraid of electricity.  I'll do iif it becomes necessary.

I do have the torso and head of a female manikin that I want to work into the project as a focal point.  She has arms that move.  She could hold a basket of fake eggs.  I'd need to find a good way to cover her breasts that I wouldn't have to re position every time the wind blows.

Tassels!
Dan

LizStreithorst

That is genius!  Thank you Dan.  Tassels it will be.

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on August 15, 2017, 06:21:55 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 15, 2017, 05:49:51 PM

Tassels!

....two small propellers...... :D
Jon

LizStreithorst

I like the idea of tassels better.  She needs red ones.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 15, 2017, 06:39:45 PM
I like the idea of tassels better.  She needs red ones.

.....well at least use the beaded ones...k ?
Jon

LizStreithorst

find some for me and I'll buy them.  I searched for tassles on amazon.  I went through 5 pages of them and saw none that rang my bell. 

This has been such a wonderful project.  I have pieces of my old dairy goat barn in it.  I have pieces of the old Katrina house that my husband built with his own hands in it.  It must be 35 years old.  It would have been bulldozed into a pile and burned had I not saved it.  It was a gift from my best neighbors.  And if that's not enough, my friends here are giving me great ideas.