• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 02:21:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 199
Total: 199

Monday Mania

Started by Mugwump, August 14, 2017, 11:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

.....while everyone's AWOL......maybe we should renovate the place?......get a new coffee pot?.....add 'Fastbreak' candy bars to the vending machine?.....'Saran-Wrap' the toilets and urinals?.....grease the door knobs?.....eat the last of the cold pizza?..... huh huh huh huh huh

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

I just moved some free swimmers from a sponge jar to a 2-1/2 gallon. Wow there are a bunch of them in there, must be one of those 300 size spawns.  From a young pair of Black Laces.  Will be interesting to see what other genes the parents have. I tend to lose track of them as they grow, but I think they both might have a gold gene and maybe a blue gene. We'll see.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

How do you tell the difference between a DD black and a very black non DD Angel?  I was told that they both look the same in phenotype.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

It's not hard to tell a DD from a lace
Jon

waterboy

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 14, 2017, 02:46:33 PM
How do you tell the difference between a DD black and a very black non DD Angel?  I was told that they both look the same in phenotype.

The only way to tell is breed them to something like a platinum. If all the babies are black you know the black is a DD.  I don't think there is a way to tell by looking at them.
Dale

waterboy

Quote from: Mugwump on August 14, 2017, 02:48:30 PM

No but it is almost impossible  to tell a hybrid black (D/g) from a DD. Especially a hybrid black ghost.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on August 14, 2017, 04:03:00 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 14, 2017, 02:46:33 PM

The only way to tell is breed them to something like a platinum. If all the babies are black you know the black is a DD.  I don't think there is a way to tell by looking at them.

....sure there is....they have a different looking black than the laces......you'll see as they get to dime/nickle.......it's obvious......especially if both phenotypes are in a tank together....
Jon

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on August 14, 2017, 04:05:45 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on August 14, 2017, 02:48:30 PM

No but it is almost impossible  to tell a hybrid black (D/g) from a DD. Especially a hybrid black ghost.

...shine a flashlight across their bodies....you will spot the underlying gold quickly......if both DD and the lace have the recessive gold.....the DD will be the darker.....more of a matted black most times

oh well, we'll see as your fry grow............maybe it's just me but there is a subtle difference
Jon

waterboy

I will believe you as I am not an expert.   I haven't had any DDs that I know of and sort of figured they were the ones that didn't make it as DDs are supposed to be weaker than the rest.  I have tried the flashlight thing and never saw anything but black.  Mated several with Blues, silvers and ghosts, and none of them are DD.
Dale

LizStreithorst

This is the kind of thing I wanted to know, not that I'm planning on getting any...It's just good to know that a difference be seen.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on August 14, 2017, 04:31:52 PM
I will believe you as I am not an expert.   I haven't had any DDs that I know of and sort of figured they were the ones that didn't make it as DDs are supposed to be weaker than the rest.  I have tried the flashlight thing and never saw anything but black.  Mated several with Blues, silvers and ghosts, and none of them are DD.

....no, hardly an expert, always learning.....that's odd...if both parents carried a (D)...then 25% of the fry should be (DD) ... huh....yes most (DD) fry can be deleterious....but coming with a (D) each from the parents they should be bit stronger.... huh......

Jon

Mugwump

(DD) Angelfish

Black Lace Angelfish (D)

Look at the lace angel, you can see the under tones...especially on the belly area, and as it turns......Dale is right, depending on additional genes present, this can vary slightly....

as D,M,Gm, and g all share the same loci....
Jon

waterboy

My D/g ones look exactly like the first picture.  I just remembered that mine also are blushers. Maybe that has something to do with it. 
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on August 14, 2017, 11:39:30 PM
My D/g ones look exactly like the first picture.  I just remembered that mine also are blushers. Maybe that has something to do with it.

....'Turq's' ?....D/g S/S ?.......save me some....
Jon