• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:28:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 125
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 127
Total: 127

Swiss Tropicals tower arrived today

Started by Ron Sower, July 26, 2017, 04:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...so I want to install it as my afternoon project...I have a well seeded round sponge filter that it will replace...

...I'm thinking removing the current sponge...squeeze it good into the water... and start up the tower...I know the water will be murky for awhile, but that doesn't bother ME...how about the fish???? :-\

...should I leave them both running for a week?...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Will the sponge not fit inside the tower?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 26, 2017, 04:45:47 PM
Will the sponge not fit inside the tower?
The tower is a sponge itself...I'm replacing the round one because I can use my jetlifter in it....  http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/foam-filter-cartridge/...actually he doesn't call this one a tower...it's a cartrige...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...assembled...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on July 26, 2017, 04:40:45 PM
...so I want to install it as my afternoon project...I have a well seeded round sponge filter that it will replace...

...I'm thinking removing the current sponge...squeeze it good into the water... and start up the tower...I know the water will be murky for awhile, but that doesn't bother ME...how about the fish???? :-\

...you can seed it in a bucket and not have to disturb the tank.....then just swap 'em out without the mess.............put tower in bucket of treated water....add sponge squeezing and run til waters clear......swap 'em out....boomba.... ;)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on July 26, 2017, 05:23:40 PM
Quote from: Ron Sower on July 26, 2017, 04:40:45 PM

...you can seed it in a bucket and not have to disturb the tank.....then just swap 'em out without the mess.............put tower in bucket of treated water....add sponge squeezing and run til waters clear......swap 'em out....boomba.... ;)
...Thanks, Jon....hadn't thought of that...that's why I like to surround myself with experience and expertise... |^| |^| |^| |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Ok...got the filter in place |^| ...it's a tall one!!!....still had some cloudy water but not much....I'll get pics tomorrow....

...one of the biggest apparent differences is that the jetlifter actually shoots the water back out horizontally into the tank creating more flow/current |^|....the standard sponge filter just pumps the air/water mix up to the surface and doesn't create much current...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

waterboy

Those jet lifters move a lot of water.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Ron Sower

Installed in back corner of the tank...In second photo - front view of tank - you see the Rotala (smaller leaves) growing on the right side of the filter...Sorry for the glare :(....this weekend I plan to separate the Rotala and semicircle it around the front of the filter to screen it from view as it grows taller...In fact, I'm going to move several of the plants and discard a few to get more of a ''managed & groomed'' look to the flora...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson