• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 02:19:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 196
Total: 196

So you want a pond...

Started by Mugwump, May 13, 2013, 08:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

I haven't had time to read this article yet, but will later on.  My koi pond was like pea soup until 2 weeks ago when I got a new bulb ($60) for my UV light.  Now it is crystal clear, we can see the fish for the first time in months, and I can see the bottom of the pond, 3' deep.  Happy, happy and a well spent $60!
Barb

Mugwump

I hadn't considered a UV light....how large a unit is required??...What wattage is the new bulb?...bigger better??.....I have a pump, just looking for the right vessel...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

I have an 18 watt unit.  There are lots of UV lights, expensive to begin with but you only need to replace the bulb once a year, that is all they last.  This is the only way I can control green water, I have tried everything else.  My pond is close to 2000 gal.  A pond of 1000 or less can use the 10W unit which costs way less.  Do you have a pond Jon?
Barb

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on May 14, 2013, 07:51:42 AM
I have an 18 watt unit.  There are lots of UV lights, expensive to begin with but you only need to replace the bulb once a year, that is all they last.  This is the only way I can control green water, I have tried everything else.  My pond is close to 2000 gal.  A pond of 1000 or less can use the 10W unit which costs way less.  Do you have a pond Jon?
Barb

No, not at this time...I'm considering one for grow out....
Jon

Mugwump

Looking at big tubs for outside use....the metal cattle troughs look like the most economical....??
Jon

Barb

Only use metal if you plan to put a rubber EPDM pond liner in it.  I have know people who use the 100 gal, maybe more, heavy black plastic horse troughs, may be made by Rubbermaid.  They can sit on top of the ground, or be sunk into it.
Barb

BallAquatics

TSC has a nice selection of "plastic" stock tanks..... 15 to 625 gallon.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/tuff-stuff-products-heavy-duty-oval-tank-110-gal

I have heard the Rubber Maid tanks are prone to cracking around the drain plug???

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on May 26, 2013, 07:33:32 AM
Only use metal if you plan to put a rubber EPDM pond liner in it.  I have know people who use the 100 gal, maybe more, heavy black plastic horse troughs, may be made by Rubbermaid.  They can sit on top of the ground, or be sunk into it.
Barb

I didn't think that the galvanized metal leeched....??...but you're probably right, better safe than sorry..
Jon