• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 04:20:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 227
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 228
Total: 228

I am torn

Started by LizStreithorst, July 18, 2017, 06:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

What do you think I should do?

I have a 190 gallon container ready for 23 1" albino Snots.  It gets afternoon sun so algae should start growing in it soon.  I'd prefer to keep it bare bottom but could add a sack of gravel.  I've checked the temperatures.  In the morning it's 78.  In the afternoon it's 86.  I could put a heater in it so the temp wouldn't fluctuate so much.

I also have the planted 125 at the shop.  It has about 8 Angels, 6 Dots, and a million Mystery snails  (If any one wants some they're free for the price of shipping).  I'll check the temp tomorrow with my inferred thermometer but I think that it remains fairly stable because I leave the AC on in that area and I have heaters in that tank.  It only gets a 50% WC weekly, although l could do twice weekly if I had to.  I don't clean out the canister filter until the flow starts slowing down :-[   but I could do it monthly.  I kinda enjoy cleaning that filter.  I vacuum the gravel once in a blue moon.  I despise vacuuming the substrate.  I might be able to make myself do it in once in the middle of blue moons.

I need help.  I am an Non-Snot woman who wants to try her hand at Snots and doesn't know which way to go. 

I think that the new Snots might be happier in the tank at the shop, but.  I believe that it was Tony who told me that Snots are slow growers.  It's late July now.  I'll only be able to keep fish out of doors another couple of months.  That makes me more certain that I should put them in the Happy Hunting Ground from the get-go.

I'm not a Snot woman.  I need advice from someone who knows the mind of a Snot.  I have time to decide.  They won't get to me until Wed.

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 18, 2017, 06:08:33 PM

I have a 190 gallon container ready for 23 1" albino Snots.  It gets afternoon sun so algae should start growing in it soon.  I'd prefer to keep it bare bottom but could add a sack of gravel.  I've checked the temperatures.  In the morning it's 78.  In the afternoon it's 86.  I could put a heater in it so the temp wouldn't fluctuate so much.

I also have the planted 125 at the shop.  It has about 8 Angels, 6 Dots, and a million Mystery snails  (If any one wants some they're free for the price of shipping).  I'll check the temp tomorrow with my inferred thermometer but I think that it remains fairly stable because I leave the AC on in that area and I have heaters in that tank.  It only gets a 50% WC weekly, although l could do twice weekly if I had to.  I don't clean out the canister filter until the flow starts slowing down :-[   but I could do it monthly.  I kinda enjoy cleaning that filter.  I vacuum the gravel once in a blue moon.  I despise vacuuming the substrate.  I might be able to make myself do it in once in the middle of blue moons.

I need help.  I am an Non-Snot woman who wants to try her hand at Snots and doesn't know which way to go. 

I think that the new Snots might be happier in the tank at the shop, but.  I believe that it was Tony who told me that Snots are slow growers.  It's late July now.  I'll only be able to keep fish out of doors another couple of months.  That makes me more certain that I should put them in the Happy Hunting Ground from the get-go.

I'm not a Snot woman.  I need advice from someone who knows the mind of a Snot.  I have time to decide.  They won't get to me until Wed.

....normally snots like cool water, tho mine were raised in 80deg water....so being young, they'll adapt for you.....

....you can just spread them around your yanks in groups too, if you wanted  huh

....slow growers, a bit....but not helped by noticing daily......LOL

those babies love 'guppy magic'......and get oranger eating carrots  8)

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on July 18, 2017, 06:29:24 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 18, 2017, 06:08:33 PM

....normally snots like cool water, tho mine were raised in 80deg water....so being young, they'll adapt for you.....

....you can just spread them around your yanks in groups too, if you wanted  huh

....slow growers, a bit....but not helped by noticing daily......LOL

those babies love 'guppy magic'......and get oranger eating carrots  8)

I have always understood that Snots are warm water fish.  They are great tank mates for Discus because they thrive in 84 degree water.

I cannot spread them in the tanks in the fish room.  I'll suck them up during WC.  I use a powerful pump.  All but 3 of yours suffered the fate the pump.  They must go in a place where I use gravity to drain water for WC which only leaves me a choice between The Happy Hunting Ground and the outside container.

I'll for sure feed them carrots and My Captain's guppy magic and zucchini.  Now, with all that food in the tank I'm thinking that the outside container would be better for them.  I'm in the same place I was when I started thinking about this!

Mugwump

,,temp range is normally 77-84......that's also why I mentioned adaptability....they'll be fine..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

And they don't care about gravel in the tank.  Mine are perfectly happy in bare bottom tanks with potted plants.  As long as they have Zucchini in the tank they don't bother the plants.  They do like caves, the males anyway.  Some of mine are in cory tanks, no heaters, where temps get as low as 65 in the winter doesn't seem to bother them a bit.  They are vegetarians so they need to eat a lot to sustain themselves.  Eating a lot means they poop a lot and bare bottom tanks are easier to keep clean.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

Thank you, Dale.  I'll put them in the huge outside container that I originally planned on using.  They'll get better care there than they would in the happy hunting ground.  I have several caves and can improvise more with 1 1/4" PVC.