• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:37:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 126
Total: 127

Put a twinkle in my eye and a bounce in my step

Started by Charlotte, July 06, 2017, 03:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlotte

Mom had no dogs on the books today.  She didn't care.  She opened the door to the Peamite and invited Chole in.  Cha Cha can't be kept out.  Saint Puppy she had to lift in.  He's old.  She would groom them if the phone didn't ring.  She got in the car, turned the key and we heard click, click, click, click....Mom thought that she was doing something wrong and tried several times but being a Truck with life experience I knew right away that the Peamite's battery was dead. 

After mom got over the shock of her sexy new Italian car not starting she unloaded all the dogs and got into me.  Chole and Cha Cha came but since my blower quit working shortly after Chip worked so hard to fix me up with an AC compressor she knew that it would be too hot in me for the old Chow.  She turned my key and I went vroom vroom and off to work we went.

We came home.  Mom pulled me into the carport next to my stall mate.  She popped our hoods.  Of course my battery was way on one side and the Peamite's was way over on the other side.  Mom's jumper cables are cheap short ones.  So she hopped in me again with Cha Cha, who she can't keep out, and we went to Jack and Judy's to borrow Jack's trickle charger.  Jack has every tool. 

I'm right next to my green friend now.  She's plugged in getting what she needs to start.  Poor girl.  Nothing like this has ever happened to her before but it's time.  She's a 2013.  What put the twinkle in my eye is that Mom bought Peamite to save her when I got sick.  What happens right off the bat?  Peamite got sick and I came to the rescue ;D
Keep on Truckin'

Mugwump

Quote from: Charlotte on July 06, 2017, 03:31:33 PM
Mom had no dogs on the books today.  She didn't care.  She opened the door to the Peamite and invited Chole in.  Cha Cha can't be kept out.  Saint Puppy she had to lift in.  He's old.  She would groom them if the phone didn't ring.  She got in the car, turned the key and we heard click, click, click, click....Mom thought that she was doing something wrong and tried several times but being a Truck with life experience I knew right away that the Peamite's battery was dead. 

After mom got over the shock of her sexy new Italian car not starting she unloaded all the dogs and got into me.  Chole and Cha Cha came but since my blower quit working shortly after Chip worked so hard to fix me up with an AC compressor she knew that it would be too hot in me for the old Chow.  She turned my key and I went vroom vroom and off to work we went.

We came home.  Mom pulled me into the carport next to my stall mate.  She popped our hoods.  Of course my battery was way on one side and the Peamite's was way over on the other side.  Mom's jumper cables are cheap short ones.  So she hopped in me again with Cha Cha, who she can't keep out, and we went to Jack and Judy's to borrow Jack's trickle charger.  Jack has every tool. 

I'm right next to my green friend now.  She's plugged in getting what she needs to start.  Poor girl.  Nothing like this has ever happened to her before but it's time.  She's a 2013.  What put the twinkle in my eye is that Mom bought Peamite to save her when I got sick.  What happens right off the bat?  Peamite got sick and I came to the rescue ;D

Good job, Charlotte  |^| |^| |^|......hopefully 'Peamite' just had a loose cable(s).... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on July 06, 2017, 03:56:45 PM
Quote from: Charlotte on July 06, 2017, 03:31:33 PM

Good job, Charlotte  |^| |^| |^|......hopefully 'Peamite' just had a loose cable(s).... huh
Charlotte...you're a stitch...!  ;D |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

No way.  I looked at all the connections everything was tight there was no sign of corrosion.  Peamite is 4 years old.  It's time for her battery to go dead.

What surprised me was that there was no warning.  There had been no hesitation when starting until the battery was too week to start the car.  Judy said that her newer car did the same thing to her and Jack.  It must have something to do with the electronics that is over my head.  When I kept trying to start the car, like an idiot, it started running text in front of my eyes like check the power steering, check oil, check tire pressure, check everything.  Then it said something like "can't read diagnostics".  That's when it came together in my head and I decided that if I were to keep turning the key I might make the computer need to be re-started.  I don't know if the car would even run with out the computer part not working.

I sure do love having a newer model car.  The Peamite is so much fun to drive and so civilized at the same time.  But I love old cars, too.  Everything is mechanical and you can see how everything works and fix it yourself if you learned how.  Chip likes old, too.  He and I bonded over Charlotte.  He likes her because she's old.  He likes me because I love her.

Thanks for taking care of me today, Charlotte.  You are a fine truck.  Lets go take the garbage to the county road.  It will be fun!  I'll be taking Peamite to work in the morning  She not designed for hauling garbage.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Tony44

Put charger in car sometimes it will start and run but when you turn it off again it will not start if battery is bad.
RIGHT TURN CLYDE

Mugwump

Quote from: Tony44 on July 06, 2017, 05:03:14 PM
Put charger in car sometimes it will start and run but when you turn it off again it will not start if battery is bad.

Do the lights get dim after driving a bit?....4-5 miles, or so... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

That was my fear, Tony.  Thanks for confirming it with out me asking.  I'll take the charger and a long cord to work with me in the morning.  I park right in front of my shop. 

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on July 06, 2017, 05:14:01 PM

I don't think I've driven her at night.  The only time I've had the lights on when it was raining.  Are you thinking Alternator?  I don't think so.  I'm sure there's a light on the dash for that.  I think it's the battery.  It's at the age it should die.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 06, 2017, 05:23:34 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on July 06, 2017, 05:14:01 PM

I don't think I've driven her at night.  The only time I've had the lights on when it was raining.  Are you thinking Alternator?  I don't think so.  I'm sure there's a light on the dash for that.  I think it's the battery.  It's at the age it should die.

...cheaper too.....LOL
Jon

Tony44

Don't know but chip might have a battery checker puts it under loads and checks charging. If there is a sears garage they do it to. Also did you check your serpentine belt if that is broke the alt don't work also don't drive if it is you will die out as soon as battery power is gone. If you make a dash for it no air no turn sigs no lights etc anything that uses battery
RIGHT TURN CLYDE

Mugwump

Quote from: Tony44 on July 06, 2017, 07:21:08 PM
Don't know but chip might have a battery checker puts it under loads and checks charging. If there is a sears garage they do it to. Also did you check your serpentine belt if that is broke the alt don't work also don't drive if it is you will die out as soon as battery power is gone. If you make a dash for it no air no turn sigs no lights etc anything that uses battery

..most auto parts store have them too...
Jon

waterboy

Check to make sure there isn't a short somewhere draining the battery.  My mother had that happen once. New battery didn't help, always dead in the morning.  I finally noticed that the glove compartment light was stuck on. Never would have noticed it but I went in the car at night for some reason and noticed a glow.  Fixed the light and the problem went away.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

Turns out that it was all my fault.  I stupidly left the ignition on or a door ajar or something equally as dumb.  Autozone checked the battery.  It was fine.  Then they checked the alternator and starter.  The guy said that the starter failed...that it was showing 274 volts.  He was ordering me a new starter when Chip called for parts.  I heard the guy say "Chip" and I asked if I could speak to him when they got done. 

I started the conversation by saying, "You will never escape me, will you Chip"?  He said, "I can run but I you will find me."  I told him about the 274 volts and he said he didn't believe it, for me to come right over.  He tested it and it was normal.  He read the diagnostics and it was showing all sorts of codes where just a month ago is was showing no codes.  I told him about keeping trying to start her and that she started saying that everything was screwed up and finally something like, "unable to read diagnostics".  From that he figured out that the codes were because of a power failure to the electronics.  (All over my head but not so much that I couldn't make sense of it).  He reset the scanner and did it again and everything was fine. 

I apologized for having done something stupid.  He said, "I love this little car.  Go drive the shit out of it, Liz"  I forced $20 bucks on him and headed home without a care.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 07, 2017, 02:56:30 PM
Turns out that it was all my fault.  I stupidly left the ignition on or a door ajar or something equally as dumb.  Autozone checked the battery.  It was fine.  Then they checked the alternator and starter.  The guy said that the starter failed...that it was showing 274 volts.  He was ordering me a new starter when Chip called for parts.  I heard the guy say "Chip" and I asked if I could speak to him when they got done. 

I started the conversation by saying, "You will never escape me, will you Chip"?  He said, "I can run but I you will find me."  I told him about the 274 volts and he said he didn't believe it, for me to come right over.  He tested it and it was normal.  He read the diagnostics and it was showing all sorts of codes where just a month ago is was showing no codes.  I told him about keeping trying to start her and that she started saying that everything was screwed up and finally something like, "unable to read diagnostics".  From that he figured out that the codes were because of a power failure to the electronics.  (All over my head but not so much that I couldn't make sense of it).  He reset the scanner and did it again and everything was fine. 

I apologized for having done something stupid.  He said, "I love this little car.  Go drive the shit out of it, Liz"  I forced $20 bucks on him and headed home without a care.

....we had a Blazer that the did better with the dome light over ride on.....the feature is nice, but you don't need the interior lights turned off for ya.....and if your door was ajar a bit...that'll do it....good old Chip saved the day... |^|
Jon

Tony44

I think charlotte had something to do with it mabey a Lil jealous don't park them so close together
RIGHT TURN CLYDE