• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 05:24:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 227
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 256
Total: 256

The rain we had

Started by LizStreithorst, June 27, 2017, 07:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

All last week it was raining more often than not.  Sometimes it came down in torrents.  For 4 weeks before the tropical storm we had been having above average rainfall.  All last week my prize tomato plant seemed to be making it OK.  It still had gazillions of maters on it.  Now that the rain has been gone for 3 days, a good 1/3 of the 'maters have just rotted while they're still green.  None of my other plants have suffered.  And I have no problem picking a tomato a day for myself or to share with the chickens.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

We had a year like that here a bunch years past......funny...didn't bother the cherry tomatoes  huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

We had some hail yesterday about the size of garbanzo beans. At first all the geese stood there looking up into the rain, and when the hail got too big for their taste they took off waddling full speed toward their house. The peacocks were under the cars from the start.

Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on June 27, 2017, 07:46:48 PM
We had some hail yesterday about the size of garbanzo beans. At first all the geese stood there looking up into the rain, and when the hail got too big for their taste they took off waddling full speed toward their house. The peacocks were under the cars from the start.

....must have been hysterical.......LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Dan, do you eat your geese or eat their eggs?  I've never had either.

wallace

We haven't eaten either one yet. One of the incubators is full of goose eggs right now. We traded a goose to a guy who slaughtered some chickens for us, and he ate said goose. I don't slaughter birds, its not fun.
Dan

LizStreithorst

With birds, the butchering part is the easy part.  It's the scalding, and plucking, and chilling in ice, that's the worst job.  I'm not up to all that work just to eat a home raised bird.  With mammals, it's the killing that's the hard part.  I've done rabbits and baby male goats, but I only did each for a year.  If I had been actually in need of food to survive I'm sure I could do it.  Everyone could if it came down to survival.  As it was, I couldn't put my emotions aside.  The supermarket was just too easy.

I don't care about eating a goose egg but I would love to try goose meat prepared by someone who knew what he was doing.  I know like duck prepared in many ways. 

wallace

We got a dozen ducks a few weeks ago. I don't know what the plan is for them. Little fertilizers marching around.
Dan

LizStreithorst

They're cuter than baby hen's chicks, aren't they?  I can't...I don't have a pond.