• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 02:45:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,309
  • Total Topics: 18,528
  • Online today: 173
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 89
Total: 89

Big big sponges

Started by Mugwump, June 21, 2017, 06:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...anyone using those huge sponges that have been out for a while now......do they work ok......will they take up the slack from not using 2-3 sponges?...or what?.....more air to drive 'em ?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

..nobody's tried these yet?.... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

BallAquatics

http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/tower-block-filter-shop/

The larger TBFs? are huge, essentially super-sized Cubefilters! The largest standard TBF? (LxWxH = 13x5x19″ with three 12″ Jetlifters) has a volume of over 20 L/5.3 gal and can move 300-400 gal/h! Compare that to the active filter volume of the largest canister filters or sumps that cost hundreds of dollars.

They use these at aquaculture facilities with great success.

Dennis

BillT

Dennis,

What are those things on the bottom of the filters?
Weights to keep them in place?

Ron Sower

I have been using one in my 54g with a Tetra Whisper Pump, along with a 2 basket Rena canister...about a week ago I disconnected the Rena....I'm watching for signs of stress but havent seen any so far...but today I added several new fish to the community...I'll watch even closer now...

The plan is to go to some form of TBF...All I need to do is affix the slab of slate to the bottom of the foam that I had ordered fot the 40g that I'm going to take down for now...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Quote from: BillT on June 23, 2017, 09:18:27 PM
Dennis,

What are those things on the bottom of the filters?
Weights to keep them in place?

Hi Bill,

Yes, they are laser-cut stainless steel alloy 304 with a standard 2B finish and then machined to hold the massive Poret? foam blocks securely to the ground.  You can remove the foam for quick and easy cleaning.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I will have Poret foam filters when my ship comes in.  I'm not holding my breath.  I want the ones that fit in the side of the tank.
Always move forward. Never look back.