• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 01:17:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 196
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 163
Total: 163

Betta keepers

Started by Mugwump, October 19, 2012, 06:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I know about everyone here has had a Betta at some time. I used to have "Ol' blue"...he'd float around the 75 laying on a leaf....quite the sight...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

I came so close to buying one of those last weekend. I'd have to put him in my planted tank and I have 6 cherry barbs in there and not sure if they would nip all those pretty fins off. So I left it there.
Jo

Mugwump

As long as you have more than two barbs,groups tend to keep their nonsense amongt themselves, and if well planted, the betta will be fine....I had Ol'blue in a well planted community with angels, four barbs, bleeding heart tetras, etc......all did fine....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

I have 4 female cherry barbs and 2 males and they do stay to there self. If I got a betta I wouldn't put anything else in it. It is 18 gallon I think same dimensions as a 10 gallon but tall. Now I have just cherries and 2 small angels in it.
Jo

b125killer

I have never had a betta. The ones around here don't looks so pretty. I guess I wouldn't look pretty if I was keep in a little jar of water either.
Scott

Jo

I know! that is what scares me the most about buying one! Some of them have so much poo in those bowls I want to do water changes really bad!
Jo

Mugwump

Find a breeder "Luke".........
Jon

BallAquatics

Here's a photo of Nemo.....

He was my first grandson's fish.  When my grandson, Benjamin, was very little he would always go to the 'fish store' with me.  One day we were in WalMart and he saw this betta.  He was in one of those tiny plastic tubs they keep them in and Benjamin said, "He doesn't have any family.  We should take him home so he will have a family."

At any rate, Nemo lived for several years in a 20 long with various groups of young CPD's, his family.  I though he often looked like a sheep dog herding around the little fish.

Dennis

Mugwump

It's amazing the personalities that Betta's bring to your tank...
Jon

Barb

Nice looking Betta!  I have a beautiful dark blue/violet half moon boy.  I had him in a tank that had the sponge prefilter fall off the siphon end.  His fins all got sucked into the filter as he swam by in the dark, but when I reached in to take out his little body, I saw him move.  No fins left, just a body but since he was alive and I knew Bettas are tough, I put him into a 1 gal. glass bubble bowl, with some live plants.  He just floated at the top for a few days.  Didn't swim but didn't die.  On the 4th day I put in a few freeze dried black worms and he ate one!  As the days went by I fed him more each day and did daily wc's on the bowl. His fins grew back just as good as ever. You should see him now, it is as if the accident never happened.  Just as beautiful as when I got him.  I think it is amazing.
Barb

BallAquatics

That is an amazing story Barb.  No doubt the way you cared for the fish played a big part in the recovery.

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

Jo

That is a sweet story, what a special grandson you have! Beautiful betta!!! The one I thought of getting was similar to that maybe a little darker. I thought the blue would be pretty with burgandy of cherry barbs
Jo

BallAquatics

Thanks Jo, he is a sweet little boy.  Nothing quite like watching the little ones as they peer into a tank. Makes you wonder what they are thinking.

Dennis

Jo

I know! Now you need to show us a pic of him!
Jo